How reliable are automatic coop doors?

Pics
I have the Omlet automatic door and I love it. I have it set to close based on light levels. The only frustrating thing is that sometimes it did close a bit early on gloomy days (infrequently) - however, this is definitely fixable by going into the settings and changing it to go a little bit later, or you can have it close at a specific time instead. It does get a bit "sticky" (seems to move slower) when it gets very cold, but it has kept working in -20C plus windchill with no true issues. I haven't actually needed to change the battery yet, either, and I've had it for almost two years.

Many people contributed with telling how great their automatic pop door are. But very few told for how many years.
If I want to know if a product is thrust worthy, I would like it to work for 5 years or more without problems.

I need to buy a new one some of these days (after 8 years) and I really would like to know if anyone has a automatic pop door that lasts more than 5 years without any problems.
I have had my original Ador since 2016, that's 7 years and I have replaced the battery 3 times in that time period without any trouble.

I did have ice build up on it once but that was my fault. No damage to the door.

The Ador locks in place so no animals can push it up and it will not crush any door roosters as it stops closing if it bumps into something. It also has a late arrival feature where 5 minutes after it has closed it will reopen if you wish to let the stragglers in and then close again.

Last edited:
@BDutch -I hear you about longevity of automatic doors. I had the same dilemma regarding best product when I bought mine, and many of the same ppl replied. For me it came down to brand reputation and warranty, reliable use in winter, safety (no forced closing arm to crush the door perchers), ease of installation. For the price I would purchase this unit again if needed.
Thanks, the Brinsea eco chicken door has a good price in relation to the Chicken guard. And it says easy to install and operate too.

The Chicken guard has a warning light if the battery’s are getting low. But it doesn’t give an alarm if the rope get stuck. For my chickens this isn’t too bad because the coop has incorporated a very small run (if it stays closed) and the auto-chicken door opens to a rather safe and net covered run (if it doesn’t close).

I have had my original Ador since 2016, that's 7 years and I have replaced the battery 3 times in that time period without any trouble.

I did have ice build up on it once but that was my fault. No damage to the door.

The Ador locks in place so no animals can push it up and it will not crush any door roosters as it stops closing if it bumps into something. It also has a late arrival feature where 5 minutes after it has closed it will reopen if you wish to let the stragglers in and then close again.
Thanks . Sounds very good, but they don’t sell this brand in the Netherlands/Europe.

Like most things, they are reliable until they aren't. A slightly trite response but an honest answer to your question.

I have the standard model from Chicken Guard. I've had it a few months. So far it's worked. I know people who have had this model for longer and so far they've worked.
I think the best approach is to assume at some point it will fail and make arrangements on this assumption. For me the important factor is the coop door opens in the mornings because I can't be there to let the chickens out. I will eventually move the auto door opener to the coop extension which will mean that the chickens can leave the coop but not the extension where I provide food and water.
This is the current arrangement. The auto door opener will be fitted to a door at the end of the coop extension, the part with the white tarpaulin.
View attachment 3582881View attachment 3582882
Quite the Hoop House. I'm jealous! Great Job.

We are new to this and have a Run Chicken T50 but I wanted to chime in about their great customer service.

We hadn't even used the door yet and I was installing the batteries and checking out the motor unit behind the plate when I dropped it on a hard surface, breaking the button to open manually. I emailed them taking full responsibility and wondering if I could just buy the motor module instead of an entire new unit. They asked for the original invoice and pictures of the damage. When I had not responded within 24 hours they checked back in with me making sure I had received their correspondence. Once I sent in all the info they needed they had a new motor module in the mail that day under warranty. Assuming I have the same good luck with the product that everyone else seems to have I would highly recommend it.

Personally I think it would be very convenient to have, especially for those who travel or come home late. My family enjoys spending our evenings with the flock and feeding them and letting them get used to us. That being said I enjoy going to close the door and make sure everyone is accounted for and safe. It should depend on your lifestyle and what you expect from your flock. Do you want to have a relationship with them so if there’s a problem they trust you to come close to them or do you strictly raise them for eggs / meat and aren’t too concerned with the “relationship” part. That is my opinion on the door , even if you like having a relationship it is completely understandable if it is for convenience or you just can’t make it home on time. Any choice is a good one for you.

Added a T50 Run Chicken in 2021, has been a great investment and hasn't had any issues. I have it installed between their permanent coop/run structure and 2nd secure run. Easy to program, can also be toggled manually, runs off batteries, has time settings and light sensor for options.

I like the door enough that lately I've been contemplating adding a 2nd one to let them out of their 2nd run, for free-ranging in the evenings only. Hesitating because of past predator issues and I don't need something figuring out their schedule of when they get let out the secure area, because that happened with the morning schedule before the 2nd run was fully secure with overhead protection
Is your T50 chicken door still working. If u can could u update us how it is working for you. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom