How RUDE!

skya328

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Dallas, TX
I work for a city in the Dallas area. We have a "swap meet" that is city-wide which is similar to Craigslist. I put a post on there a couple days ago for "Farm fresh eggs from free range chickens - $3." I have posted eggs for sale several times in the last couple years. WELL..... I just got a call from someone in the City Health Department. At first I thought she wanted to buy them. Not so much. She proceeded to tell me that it violates the City health code to sell food without a permit. I was also told it is against City policy to sell food on the swap meet. Needless to say, I had to remove the post.
rant.gif
I guess if I lived somewhere more rural it wouldn't be an issue...

I would do some research just to be sure. I trust no one. If it was a phone call I would have told her to send me a copy of the printed ordinance. Plus the state code may over ride the city code. Check it out. Plus the other thing is permits may not be that hard to get.

I've read lots here, folks talking legal like they know it all. Plus at my age I've not heard it all, but I've heard plenty.

Hope things turn out in your favor.

Rancher

You can get a food permit, I dont know the cost.
But we cant sell eggs, butchered meat or anything. I get so jealous of all the different States that can do 1000 and under a year but we cant do any!!!
I run roos with all my hens and I list them as fertilized eggs or I get dinged all the time.
It is really silly.

I don't know how much it would cost to get a permit with the City. I don't live in the same city that I work in. I can't imagine it would be cost effective, though.

Maybe I should start selling organic egg cartons?
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom