How self sufficient are you?

Quote:
ep.gif
Ok, that's a lot!

I completely made that up.
My point was only that we aren't really self sufficient if we are buying chicken feed (to use a metaphor) from the man.

NOT being self sufficient is what got us out of the cave and into nice houses with comfy beds. We all need to work together.

Quote:
I'm not saying that I'm self-sufficient. Somone said that it isn't possible to be self-sufficient, I contradicted them b/c I know people who are completely self-sufficient, even up to having no car. They are off the chart. And don't get me started on how we didn't originate from apes living in caves.....

Quote:
I'm not saying that I'm self-sufficient. Somone said that it isn't possible to be self-sufficient, I contradicted them b/c I know people who are completely self-sufficient, even up to having no car. They are off the chart. And don't get me started on how we didn't originate from apes living in caves.....

LOL the person never said anything about coming from apes. early man lived in caves

what about the stricter amish communities [as opposed to the modernised less strict amish],arent they self sufficient?
they certainly looked it in documentaries have seen on them before,dont think coud handle that sort of life though-screw tv and phones but no internet,ugh terrible thought.
hide.gif

Quote:

LOL the person never said anything about coming from apes. early man lived in caves

Ususally people think apes and caves are connected.

Quote:
No, they work together as a group. Maybe a much smaller group than our mainstream global community but I would bet all I own that you could go onto an Amish farm and find "made in China" equipment.

Quote:
No, they work together as a group. Maybe a much smaller group than our mainstream global community but I would bet all I own that you could go onto an Amish farm and find "made in China" equipment.

I don't think so. Some Amish communities are very particular what comes in from the outside, others are more open.

Me:
Garden
Orchards
Chickens (meat, eggs, manure)
Rabbits (meat, manure)
Ducks (meat, eggs, manure)

I have also been trying to "perfect" my flock into a more sustainable unit. Im growing some feeds for all the animals. Im not to far from being able to do it either. Ive got several animals right now and I am culling down to 15 hens and 1 rooster, plus the Muscovy Duck pair. All of my breeds are fairly SS. They free range, I have two known brooders. That hopefully will brood more because the chicks they hatch out will beat anything you may buy or hatch. They are hardier, forage better, and so LARGE and healthy. The ducks are the same way. I raise corn and sunflowers for the hens. Im getting ready to start sprouting. Then Im getting my Dairy Goats this Spring so I hope to have extra milk to feed in addition to that. So I can give up the layer ration joke crap.

I aim to do my goats the same way, find alternative ways to feed them inexpensivley from home.

We also have a large pantry we are working on..........plus all the canning.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Total self sufficiency is not really possible. But go on over to the sufficient self site and see what people are up to.

Had to say I have seen your posts on several threads and your avatar cracks me up something fierce.
What a look.
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Ok back on topic I agree that total is not possible.​

Back
Top Bottom