How should I do this? Integrating coop and run together

HyperCello

Chirping
Feb 10, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Help a newbie out! I think I finally settled on the coop I want to get (but this is the third time I think I have said that....and I'm not handy enough with tools to build my own). I am only going to have 3-4 chickens max. Figured I needed to put that in bold to make it stand out...LOL! My yard won't support more, and the city only allows a max of 6. This is the coop I want (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-hill-country-coop?cm_vc=IOPDP1) and I am wanting to attach a 10'x10' dog kennel as the run. I was thinking I'd have to cut an opening in the wire of both the coop and the run, and then zip tie/attach them together somehow. What size do I need to make the openings? What should I use to make sure there aren't any sharp edges for the chickens to hurt themselves on? Has anyone done this before? I'd love to see examples. Thanks! :)

Is this a 10 by 10 with 4 separate panels or all in on piece? If it is separate panels, use all 4 & angle the sides in to the size of the run on the coop & attach the two panels to the wood posts on the run. I did that for my guineas & zip tied them to the run 2 by 4s. Has ;lasted 10 years. If it's a wrap around kennel, you would have to cut a hole in the fence.

The way I understand it you are getting that entire coop/run combination in your link and want to add a 10x10 run to it. That's almost 10' long so you can't put it inside the 10x10. I don't see the entrance on the run that comes with the coop and not sure how high it is. Doesn't look like you can stand up in there. I assume you have a door or gate on that kennel. I've done stuff like similar to what you want to do. One of the inconveniences is that you have to go out of one to go into the other. I'd try to keep the doors or gates handy to one another to minimize walking.

This shows how I created a pop door in a fence between two runs. I cut the opening in the wire and then sandwiched the wire between two pieces of wood using screws. That covers the sharp ends of the wire and gives me something pretty solid to attach to.

Fence Door Front.JPG

This shows how I went from my run to my grow-out coop. This is where I had the long walk. On the fence side I cut the hole and bent the sharp edges of the wire back out of the way. I attached the bottom of that walkway using the sandwich method. On the wire I used J-Clips to attach the wire together. J-Clips and the tool you need to attach them are in the rabbit section at Tractor Supply but you can also just use wire to hold them together. Hog rings would work too.

For dimensions a foot wide is wide enough for your chickens. Over 18" is more than you need for chickens. I made this too low, my rooster had to crouch down to use it. I'd suggest at least 18" high. 24" is overkill.

Tunnel.JPG

Hopefully these will give you some ideas.

Is this a 10 by 10 with 4 separate panels or all in on piece? If it is separate panels, use all 4 & angle the sides in to the size of the run on the coop & attach the two panels to the wood posts on the run. I did that for my guineas & zip tied them to the run 2 by 4s. Has ;lasted 10 years. If it's a wrap around kennel, you would have to cut a hole in the fence.
It is a wrap around kennel, so I'm thinking I have to cut it.

This right here is what I was thinking, I just couldn't actually visualize it! The run that comes with the coop is only about 3' high. Thank you for suggesting to have the doors all close together...I wouldn't have thought about that, and then would have been so mad at myself having to walk around it each day...LOL. So, I can make the opening 12" wide and 18" tall, and that will be good.

:confused: Maybe I am being simplistic here.....
Maybe leave the run off that comes with it and put it inside a dog run.....no need to stoop then.

It looks like a very short door on the end of the run. I wouldn't want to try to get into that run.

Back
Top Bottom