How should I feed my girls???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bec, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Right now I fill their feeder once every couple of days..when ever I notice it is getting low I fill it it up...They are getting layer feed...so it is good food, just wondering when they should be eating.

Should I be feeding them once a day and have a feeding schedule? Or should they just have feed available all the time? They do free range all day in the yard..and they get kitchen stuff....

Any suggenstions? [​IMG]

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They should have feed available all the time. They will eat what they need to, when they need it.

This time of year, mine are all over the yard foraging, all day long. In the middle of winter, they'll be more dependent on the commercial feed, when everything here is covered in snow.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:Yeah what she said, mine have food available all the time, but only eat in morning and just before going to bed the rest of the time they are bug hunting, and seed picking. AND occasionally begging for a snack from anyone who goes outside and might bring them something.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  4. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Same here. Right now though they are in the enclosed run. The farmers are plowing down the corn all around us. Of course my girls and boys like to chase the grasshoppers into the field. Bad thing to happen during this time of year. So, I'm playing it safe. Mine always have their laying feed, oyster shell and grit available whenever they want it.

5. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok...so i am doing good then..Thank you all!!!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Honestly, it's so much easier to just keep the feeders filled rather than toting out feed twice a day. Mine have always had free choice feeding without any problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by