How should I get my ducks to like me

Rmstuck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 11, 2012
Ames,IA
So today I went and picked up 4 chocolate Ancona ducks they were hatched this spring. They were on a farm and not really great no pool just corn for food treated like livestock instead of pets. They are very scared right now in my backyard understandably but is there anyway to speed up the warming up to me process any tricks or certain treats

I buy frozen and let them thaw in refrig. They go bonkers when they see me walk out with peas. They hang out with me, but mine are not so hot on letting me touch/pet them.

Yeah I have 6 chickens who just hear me open the fence gate and they come running knowing I usually have something for them so I'm hoping the ducks will see I'm not a bad guy. I set up my dogs pools for them with some bricks to get in and out....how do I train them to use the bricks, I put one of the ducks in the pool earlier and she was SOOOOOO happy to clean herself and splash I felt bad because they are very dirty.

Yeah I have 6 chickens who just hear me open the fence gate and they come running knowing I usually have something for them so I'm hoping the ducks will see I'm not a bad guy. I set up my dogs pools for them with some bricks to get in and out....how do I train them to use the bricks, I put one of the ducks in the pool earlier and she was SOOOOOO happy to clean herself and splash I felt bad because they are very dirty.
Patience and lots of time just being around them, not trying to pet them or pick them up just being there. They'll soon realize they are in a good place.

In mid-August I picked up two Ancona ducks from Craigslist. Like yours, these poor things were living in awful conditions, no water, no shelter, no signs of food except tall, tough grass. Within two weeks they started to lay, and like yours, were so happy to bathe, once they figured out about the pool. It seemed forever for them to even try to eat anything except dabbling in the mud and dirt. It took quite a few weeks before they began to relish the quality, organic feed in a bowl. They are doing fine and are quite happy. At first, I worked at remembering to move slowly, speak softly, and not push myself onto them or add to their fear. Now, where ever I am working outside, they want to be nearby, if I am working inside, they get up five steps onto the deck and peer into, quack and peck at the cat door (irritates the cats immensely
smile.png
). They free-range around the yard when I am at home, and now when they hear the door open in the evening, they follow me to the shed where I keep the food and head into the pen knowing that I will have a plate of lettuce. They must not know they are ducks since they won't touch peas!!!
hu.gif
I have begun to add grated carrot. One of them has stopped laying, but I figure my job is to help them get as healthy as possible after such a poor start; by spring, I'm sure they will work it out. They still won't eat out of hand (except the lettuce), and I don't try to pick them up very often. I have grown quite fond of them and it is such a joy to watch them come out of those terrible conditions and find pleasure here. So I would just advise you to be very patient with your new ducks, and it won't be long before they get settled in. I have no expectations for my two, given their history and just accept them for who they are and who they will become. I hope to start with some ducklings next spring.

When I've adopted full grown ducks, I've first let them get used to their new surrounding. Then, I've spent as much time as possible with them.

Some of my ducks didn't like peas at first. Now, I can't hold a plastic bag without all of them going crazy! Two of my indoor ducks run to the refrigerator whenever we walk into the kitchen.

I always put some frozen peas in the microwave for my ducks, they know the sound of the microwave door slamming now and come running.
lol.png
I always made a habbit of picking them up and holding them every day even when they didn't like it, and they seem more tame than they used to be. They aren't nearly as hard to catch as they were when they were younger.

Back
Top Bottom