How should I give my flock oyster shells

All poultry need grit to help grind their food if they eat anything that needs grinding. If they have access to the ground they can usually find their own but there is nothing wrong with supplying it separately just in case. But separately so they can regulate it.

All poultry needs some calcium for body maintenance. Not a lot but some. Laying hens need a lot extra for eggshells. Growing chicks need some but not much. Typically if they need it they will eat it if they have access. They are usually very good at self-regulation if given the chance. Offering it separately allows them to regulate according to how much they need. Mixing it with food or grit kind of messes with that ability to self-regulate.

If they have access to forage they might get some calcium from their environment. That could be form certain plants or creepy crawlies they catch and eat. If your local rock has calcium they can get a lot from that. If they get sufficient grit or calcium form their environment they may not eat much if any of what you offer, they don't need it. Or they may scarf down a fair amount. So it is best to offer both grit and oyster shell separately.

I have got oyster shells and grit for my flock of chickens and ducks, but how do they eat it best? Should sprinkle it in food, out it in a separate bowl, and put it in the ground with cob and scratching grain
I just dump the bag on the ground and replenish when it's gone. They like to scratch through it and it never stays in the bowl anyway. I prefer to let them have it free choice rather than add to food. You don't need to add anything to it like scratch or whatever, they'll use it.

I have grit and shell mix currently. I just throw a handfull on the ground, one in the run and one outside it.
The chickens don't really eat commercial feed anymore so they won't get the calcium levels found in layers pellets. I've got males and females of mixed ages.
I was initially a bit concerend that with the change of feed and limited out of the run foraging time they may not get the calcium they need. I've got a crested cream legbar in there and she's only a step or two away from the commercial high production breeds. She lays most days. I've got a Lightbar pullet only been laying a month or so so she's going to be egging flat out for the forseeable future.
I'm happy to write there have been zero shell strength issues and while I don't often see them eating the shell on the ground, it dissapears over a week or so.
They don't care wet or dry. I know chicken keepers who spread their hens entire ration on the ground at each feed. They tell me chickens prefer to feed from the ground in part because it's easier for them to identify individual items.
It's also good for the males some of who don't cope well with the high calcium in layers pellets.
The thing is, I started with the shell and grit in a bowl. Nobody went near it.:confused:

Grower and all flock has the 1% calcium needed to maintain birds. I toss oyster shell on the ground when the egg shells start to get thin. Handful a week until summer when they seem to forage enough without it then supplement more in fall until they slow down laying in winter. Start supplementing spring prior to hatching eggs.

Back
Top Bottom