1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How should I introduce my ducks to each other? Runners & Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lady feathers, Apr 16, 2011.

1. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    So I bought three runner ducklings from the local farm store a few weeks back now I don't know exactly when they arived there but I think they would be roughly a month old now (standing uo the are about as tall as a 2 litre bottle).... in addition, some friends of ours that run a photography studio get ducklings and chickens each year for easter portraits and knowing we had a farm asked if we would be interested in 2 more ducklings free, DUH of course we took them! These two are pekins and I'm pretty positive we have a pair as the one is larger than the other has a thicker head/neck and is taller than the daintier female. I believe them to be about 2-3 weeks at most older than the runners. But they are easily 2-3 times the size of the runner (man are they heavyweights) Anyway, I'm curious when can place these guys together with the runners?

Right now they are in seperate brooders.... until just this week they couldn't really see each other, but the runners are finally tall enough to see over the side of their rubbermaid. The Pekins seem to be interested in them when they are peeping away! I have placed the runners into the Pekins brooder (a kiddie pool with bedding) a few times supervised while quickly changing out their bedding and the Pekins tried "biting" at the Runners heads a little bit, nothing to violent (looked kind of like westling) but I quickly seperated them thinking it may escalate (these are my very first ducks-so I don't know what is normal)!

Are they going to just have to sort it out like my chickens do and then once everyone knows our Pekins "run the show" all will be fine? Or do we have to make two seperate duck houses so they can just stay neighbors? Do I need to introduce them in a new place for each so they are on neutral territory? Any suggestions, ideas, or knowledge based on experience would be greatly appreciated- these guys are so ready to go outside on the next nice day and play around in the sunshine- I'd like for them to all be able to be together in our dog kennel (soon o be duck kennel). Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by