how should I keep my water for the winter?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sheeshshe, Sep 19, 2009.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    I am in southern maine, it gets fairly cold in the winter... below freezing most days. I currently keep their water in the covered run because its less messy... I just fill up a low shoe box type bucket for them to drink out of... I know I need a proper waterer for the winter, but what is the cheapest thing I can get away with and that doesn't take up a lot of space in the coop and what will help the water not to freeze in the winter?

what would you recommend... preferably something I can make myself and something thats under $10 if possible... [​IMG] thank you!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I read a lot about people using the heated dog bowls, but I'm sure that's more than $10. I've also read about people who use a metal or ceramic bowl placed on a square of short cinder blocks pushed away from each other enough to have a light bulb laying there (under the water dish)...between the cinder blocks. The bulb doesn't emit much heat, just enough to keep the water from freezing over...

3. cackler

cackler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Central Kansas
    I made my waterer out of a 5 gallon bucket and a galvenized feed pan I bought at TSC. I am now curious if it is okay to put this 5 gallon bucket in a heated dog bowl for the winter - rather than the galvanized feed pan. I don't know if it'll be safe to do that or not. They're both plastic. [​IMG] so I would THINK that it'd be okay to do.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by