How should I treat my Roosters?

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
So I have seen some conflicting information on how to interact with your young roosters. I see a lot of people saying NOT to pet or spoil them. I have two roosters, one is totally aloof and has no interest in being touched but the other actively follows me and will jump on my lap when I'm feeding the hens. I try not to pet him too often. I am curious if this is ok. They are both only 20 weeks old. I don't want to inadvertently turn him into a monster or anything. How should I be interacting with these guys?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dealing-with-and-taming-aggressive-roosters.74600/

This is a fantastic article on roos. I have a very curious and bold roo, but if he's not stamping his feet or staring you in the eyes or even throwing treats at you then I wouldn't be too worried. I know of plenty of people who have pet roosters and I've had my fair share of aggressive ones, treat him with respect but also demand it for yourself. You can be his friend, you most certainly don't want to be his enemy.

That was a really informative article. My aloof rooster has done his chicken dance around me before, but only when I am holding a certain hen. She is sick and I have to give her medicine, it seems to drive him crazy. The other rooster follows me everywhere, he must assume I have treats 24/7.

That was a really informative article. My aloof rooster has done his chicken dance around me before, but only when I am holding a certain hen. She is sick and I have to give her medicine, it seems to drive him crazy. The other rooster follows me everywhere, he must assume I have treats 24/7.
You can always expect something informative from TwoCrows😂

My favorite roo in the world used to run like crazy to see why a hen was crying, if it was because of me he would stop in his tracks and watch for a second and then he would walk away. He would also round up the hens to make sure they were all eating. He almost died because some dogs (definitely not my dogs🤥) were tearing up his hens, he knew who to respect and he was willing to give his life for his girls. I miss him, a good roo is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom