How should we bring home unpackaged, processed birds????

Thomas423

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Port Deposit, MD
I am having half of my meat birds processed tomorrow. It is the first time for this couple to process birds for others. It is also our first time. We are putting live birds in cardboard boxes and dropping them at the farm at 8:00 am. They will do the processing and we will return to pick up.
What should we take to have the processed birds put in for the 45 minute ride home. We plan on using 55 gallon trash cans to soak them in the brine water for 24 hours at home. Should we leave a can with them or use something else that will weigh less? It will be 12 birds this week. Should we use water and/or ice or just wait till we get home?
Please, I was just cleaning the cans and realized that I had no plan on how to get them home and what I should give the young couple to put them in after processing.
Any and all suggstions welcomed!!!!

First, remember that the meat needs to age a bit before you freeze it, or you'll get a stringy taste...so maybe the processor will age the hens for you? If not, then I woulc bring them home in a cooler--I think 12 chickens would fit in a large cooler, maybe with some ice poured over it.

Age it for a couple of days in the fridge, then freeze.

Quote:
Pack them in the cooler with ice, let it age in fridge for a few days or throw them in the freezer but remember to let it thaw and age a couple of days to be tender.

12 chickens can fit in a large cooler.

For 12 birds you could pick them up in a 48 quart cooler. Unless they are monsters, you will have plenty of room for the birds and ice. If it were me, I would let them rest in the cooler w/ ice. As long as the cooler is clean, you should be good. Before packing a cooler with raw chicken, I usually spray down the inside w/ bleach water and let it sit in the sun for a few hours to sterilize. If you leave the cooler lid shut after packing the chickens, and keep it in a cool place, you may only have to add a little ice on Sunday morning. You can even add a little salt to it intially to help draw out some of the blood.

Goodluck and enjoy your home raised chicken! I know you will, there's nothing better.

Yep, big cooler, you might bring along a couple of clean five-gallon buckets with lids, in case they don't all fit. you can dump more ice in the buckets on top of them.

Personally I wouldn't let them sit in ice water for 24 hours unless you are purposely brining them. My preference is to have the birds rest on top of the ice, letting the water drain. Other folks may suggest otherwise. Just keep the birds below 40 degrees, preferably closer to 33-35. Enjoy your birds

Back
Top Bottom