1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How small can a chicken door be??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Frozen Feathers, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Please solve my argument with my DH and me!! LOL I think between 8"x8" or 10"x 8" would be a plenty big enough door. He's not too bright [​IMG] and thinks that it needs to be much bigger, like 1.5'x1.5. Please tell me I'm right!!! My biggest bird is an Australorp, if that helps. I'm trying to keep my nosy little goats out of the chicken coop. [​IMG]

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I dont know how small it can be, but my door is 12x14.

3. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Mine is 12x12 and that seems to be just fine. I have two Wyandottes, which are big and heavy like Australorps, and they have a few inches of clearance on the sides, no problem. Part of the "hole" question is how many birds you have- if you have 100 birds in the henhouse than you'll have a very serious traffic jam with a 12x12 hole. I have 7 birds and sometimes they try to come out all 7 at once- that causes quite a commotion. [​IMG]

-MTchick

4. khable

khable Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    LaGrangeville, NY
    Our door is 10"x12".

I got that size straight from the book "Storey's Guide to raising Chickens" that is what they reccomend for standard size birds.

Hope that helps.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Ours is 16x16.......no complaints yet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by