1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How solid should chick poop be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Juise, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I swear I saw a link to some sort of poop chart here somewhere the other day, but now, for the life of me, I can't find it.

My chickies poops are a pretty uniform tan / brown, and semi-form. A bit like soft serve ice cream, only way grosser [​IMG] Is this too loose? I did see one foamy poop yesterday, I have been checking and haven't seen any more, but.. is this okay? Is this something I should be very concerned about?

Thanks!

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
  3. Juise

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh boy, what fun [​IMG] Thank you for linking that. I suppose my chicks' would fall into the "oily and foamy" category of normal. Would it help / hurt to give them some partially ground raw oats? (And this would require a tray of sand, right?)

4. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    What breed are your chicks, how old, & what are you feeding them? I raise Penedesenca and find that even with a balanced, healthy diet they have a tendency towards loose stools.

5. Juise

Mar 4, 2011
    I have black sex-links, new hampshire reds, and isa browns and they are around 1 1/2 to 2 weeks old I think.

6. Juise

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh and all they have had so far is starter crumbles.

7. phasian

phasian Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Oregon
    Are the crumbles medicated or non-medicated? (It can make a difference in their droppings.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by