How soon can baby turkeys go outside into a safe coop area

In addition to the chickens and ducks, I have five two week old turkeys. They are being raised expressly for meat, and are being raised with my red broiler pullets also the same age. Turkeys are doing wonderful. However, these buggers are now flying! Had to chase a couple who escaped the door barrier this morning. I knew they flew early, but didn't think they would fly as high as they had to to get out. If any of you have raised turkeys, your input, suggestions, instructions, etc., is greatly appreciated. I could put the five turkeys out with eight week old Black Australorps. The turkeys are still small but growing. If they keep up their flying abilities, I am not sure what I can do. They have good feathering. The weather is in the 70s during the day, in the 50s at night; however, I have a heat lamp in that one coop just because I want the Australorps to say warm. And, if the consensus is that they can go outside, say in another week, I am prepared to add roosting rods to the coop that are high enough for them to fly up to and feel safe. A quick story: have you ever seen a turkey make a face? Well, I have. I added a little vinegar to their water as someone in the flock seemed to have a poopy poop. Nothing disarming, just not well formed. Anyway, one of the little Bourbon Reds took a sip, squinted his little eyes, stuck out his tongue, and took his foot to wipe his beak off. It was just to funny and cute. Then, one of the little Narragansetts came over, tested the water, made a face, and couldn't wipe his beak off fast enough. Needless to say, I changed the water. Anyone who says animals don't have expressions aren't paying attention to their critters. Thanks again for your help re: letting the turkeys outside.

Mine go out during the day during the first week if it is warm enough. It depends on what your outside temperatures are and what your poults are acclimated to. At your temperatures your poults will need extra heat for a bit longer, about 6 weeks. Put them out too soon and they will chill and die.

Just an FYI Turkeys can and will fly 10+ feet in the air and for long distances when they are young. As they get older their weight will keep them down. I suggest cutting the feathers on one wing. It doesnt hurt them and it keeps them off balance so they cant get going. The feather wont grow back until their next molt and by then they will be too heavy to fly much.

Back
Top Bottom