How Soon Can I Feed Chicks Crickets?

citychickinthecountry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
What's the earliest recommended age to let baby chicks eat crickets? I'm wanting to get some for my adult hens (this is usually a once a month treat for them), so I was wondering if I can get some for my chicks too or if I should wait a few more weeks. The chicks are 10 days old today.
big_smile.png

Get ready for a wild few minutes. Once the crickets enter the brooder those chicks become ravenous chicks.

If mama hen were in charge. she would have the chicks out eating everything under the sun by the second day.

I gave mine some crickets at about a week and a half and they loved them. I gave them some meal worms two nights ago, now they are starting to want to follow me around begging.LOL

We threw one cricket in with the chicks (one that we found in the yard) and it was gone in 3 seconds flat! Two of the chicks kept trying to steal it from each other, but then they finally broke the cricket in half and shared. They are so adorable (the chicks, not the crickets). ;p Now, I'll have to get some more for my older girls and the babies.

Back
Top Bottom