1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How soon can I tell if I have a Roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenNewbie, May 4, 2009.

1. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    How soon will I know? Mine are 11 days old. What venues are there to find a new home?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Depends on the breed. Some you can tell as early as 3 wks, some not until much later. Usually by 6 wks it's obvious.

What breeds do you have?

Craigslist is a great way to get rid of roos, just don't expect to make a profit or expect the new owners to keep them as pets. Roosters are generally eaten.

3. HenNewbie

HenNewbie Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Dayton, Or
    These are Buff Orphingtons. One just seems to not huddle with the others. They were supposed to be pullets, but I understand there is a 10% chance of getting a roo.

So the first sign will be a crowing instead of chirping?? As early as 3 wks. If not, what should I be looking for??

Thank you in advance.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:In alot of breeds, the cockerels feather out slower than the pullets. The cockerel can have thicker sturdier looking legs. The comb will start to get bigger and pinker as well. ETA: These things start becoming more apparent in the 4 to 6 week range.

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by