How soon can you identify male chick?

Not every thing on Youtube is correct. (Edit for explanation)

The feather sexing method can only be done on some breeds, and the female and male have to have different rates of feather growth. I believe its a sex-link gene. It just means a lot of these methods are fallible. Even vent sexing is fallible 10% of the time. There are other sex-link genes that help with the ID of male and female but these again are not present in all chicken breeds.

Sometimes behavior can give you a clue but its better to not count your males and females until they are 6 to 12 weeks old and in some breeds you have to wait longer because they are slower maturing.
Exactly. I have a silkie who I think is a boy, but not counting it until I hear a crow. Some breeds like silkies, you can’t tell until you get an egg or hear a crow. And sometimes hens can crow, so even that is not a 100% accurate thing too! Hens can have spurs too, so that is not accurate either. The only way for some breeds is to wait for an egg.

1691083243962.jpeg

The one light EE is a boy. He is starting to get red shoulders. Those are common in male easter eggers. I can’t tell on the rocks yet. The orange EE is a girl that is a female color.

1691083433426.jpeg

I missed the blue EE. Keep an eye on this one, but it looks to be male aswell? I can’t tell for sure. That lacing on those wings makes me think male, but it is too early to tell.

Back
Top Bottom