How soon is too soon

ijustsawachickeneatafrog

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2020
I have a broody incubating a batch of eggs (including 4 turkey eggs). I noticed the other day that 3 of the turkey eggs are starting to crack. They have another week before they're due to hatch. I patched them up as best I could with membrane from an egg out of my fridge and some glue (probably not the best way to do it, but it's all I had). I'm still worried though. If they hatch prematurely, will they survive? How soon can they hatch in order to live?
Thanks

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Sounds like it could be a problem. What other species of eggs are with them?
If it is chickens and they were set at the same time, that is a problem.
Turkey eggs take 28 days.
What day were they set? Were all eggs set at the same time?
It takes turkey eggs 660-672 hours to hatch. Outside of that range can be a problem.

ijustsawachickeneatafrog

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2020
The cracks are lines, and I candles them this morning. The embryos inside were moving and very much alive.
They're with bantam silkie eggs, which were put under the broody a week or so after the turkey eggs in order for them to hatch at the same time

Nigel27

Crowing
Apr 22, 2020
West coast North America
Chicken must’ve cracked them, I would say they were spoiled and about to burst but you candled them. Maybe the turkey eggs were thin and the chicken had a hard time turning them. Do you have and incubator?

ijustsawachickeneatafrog

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2020
Yeah, I had noticed they had what appeared to be weak patches in their shells the first time I candles them. I don't have an incubator, unfortunately.
Thanks for the help, I'm hoping they make it to term :jumpy

Top Bottom