How start new coop and run with DLM floor and composting run?

Mar 20, 2020
I am a day or two away from completing my coop and run. My question is what should I layer in the coop floor to start a DLM floor? My coop is a converted shed with a cement floor. I’ve been saving all my vegetable scraps and paper and cardboard for the run to start the compost. I live on 65 acres and have access to plenty of dried leaves from last fall? Thanks

How to set up the coop floor? My chicks are 3-4 weeks old. Thanks
It's cement so I'd just toss it all in there. Dirt first and cover with the other stuff is what I would try first. I've never composted on cement before. It doesn't really matter I suppose, it all gets mixed up anyway.

I was planning to put 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom of my run. Can I just let the chickens have at the grass growing thru or do I need to put something on top of hardware cloth?

I was planning to put 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom of my run. Can I just let the chickens have at the grass growing thru or do I need to put something on top of hardware cloth?
Look up hardware cloth skirts for your run instead. It will provide the critter protection and then the chickens won't be walking on mesh.

Back
Top Bottom