How strong should a light be in a new coup for one laying chicken and 3 who should be laying.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jodyb, Oct 29, 2012.

1. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    I am Miss Bargersquack and I am fairly new. I just moved my 4 girls to a 600 lb coup as we are experiencing very high winds here in the NC mountains due to the storm. I want to keep them in their new digs for a few days, but need to know if a 250 infrared light bulb is too strong for them. It is about 4' 8" off the groung and I do not have straw on the floor, just in the laying bins.

What is the correct light/ It will be for daylight also as I eant them to know this is their new home. 2-4 days? Also to protect them from these high winds and snow.

Jody Bargersquack

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    personaly, i think it is a little bright, though im not sure of the dimensions of ur coop.....

3. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    It is about 5 feet high, 5 feet wide and 8 feet long. What do you think? Is this light for little chicks?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is it red?

5. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    It is infrared but the glass is white. I think I will use a lesser bulb based on your comment. Thanks!

6. HLAC

HLAC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    Central Utah
    I used a 10 watt CLF bulb for 75 laying hens in a 12' x 30' coop. ...Until it fried (those stupid bulbs do not live up to the hype). Now I use a 40 watt white incandescent bulb.

7. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    Thank you! This is much better than the 250 infra red bulb I wanted to try. Fried Chicken anyone?

Jody Bargercluck

8. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I depends upon whether you are trying to keep them warm or just provide light.

Chris

9. jodyb

jodyb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Deep Gap, North Carolina
    Both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by