how sweeeeeeeeeeeet this board is..........

nochickensyet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 13, 2008
Bonneau, South Carolina
Hi, I'm brand new here to the board. I have always loved chickens, but have never even thought of gettin any. A friend of mine asked me the other day if I wanted a few of his. Now......here I am gettin ready to build a chicken coop. I'm really excited on gettin started.
I'm also goin to buy some babies in Feb. I was wonderin if yall have ordered any speacial breeds and had them sent to through the mail? Do they arrive save ? I was thinkin on orderin some Silkies and special ones like that.
The question I had is....can you put different types in the same coop? Do they get along with each other?
And I wanted to thank everyone of yall for postin on here....I have already learned so much just goin through all the posts.

I'll never get tired of having people say "I never thought about getting any chickens .....here I am getting ready to build a chicken coop." Haha, same thing happened to us! And now my DH is talking constantly about getting an incubator. And building a bigger coop. OMG, we're a strange bunch, but wonderful.

nochickensyet,
welcome-byc.gif
and I can't wait to see how many you end up with!
clap.gif

If you want to raise one breed then keep them separate, if you don't mind having mixed breeds then by all means put them together. All of mine are together. The chicks hatched from these different combinations are hardy and really cute. Just try to keep your roosters at a min. one per ten hens is recommended although, I have to admit, I have more roos than that.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome!!! We are so glad you have joined the dark side with us!!
lol.png
I have ordered chicks from My Pet Chicken. All 11 arrived safe and sound. I did have one of the silkies pass away on day 3. I have 21 chickens and 10 different breeds! It is such a joy to raise chicken. Have fun!

Thanks for the welcomes !!!! I think the chickens my friend has are RIR. But, will have to ask him. Another thing...can you mix different breeds of roosters ?
Oh yeah...another thing that I didn't mention...I will be buildin the coop all by myself. DH has stated, "that this is all your idea...I ain't buildin nuttin" I know...how rude, right? !!!! But, he's a little accident prone, last time he messed with a skill saw he almost cut his thumb clean off !!! So, I think I will beable to handle it on my own.

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

I too am on my own for coop building, there are some books with plans in hardware stores, and lots of help here on the BYC coop section. Like others have said, plan ahead for space for an addition!!
(Did he really turn down the chance to help after seeing all the great coops on the BYC Coop Design pages?
ep.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom