1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How t6o get my Turkeys to breed

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by joshm97, Feb 21, 2013.

1. joshm97

joshm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I plan to have a hatch about 1/2 way through April because then it will be in the high 80's around here.... The turkeys can't see outside the coop do to that we have to put in windows still. How do I get my hen to breed and think it is late spring with out cooking her?

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    It is my understanding that in the North where you are, turkeys are seasonal breeders. They will breed when nature tells them the weather is right, regardless of what you want them to do. I really don't know when turkeys breed in your area, so maybe someone else from closer to you, will chime in here, because in LA, they started in December. I know most Northern hatcheries, don't have turkeys available until May or June. When the time is right, they will breed without any help![​IMG]

3. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Your answer is better than mine, I was going to suggest teaching his tom to dance gracefully for the hen, like in the smiley you chose above

OR

since there are no windows adjust the ammount of light in the coop to make the days SEEM longer like they do for laying hens.

RobertH

4. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Last year here in BC I got my first egg on spring solstice

And it was a very cold late spring in the pacific north west.

I expect them earlier this year because its going to be an early spring in these parts.

5. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I'm going with the light. If its dark and there are no windows, they won't lay eggs. Put up a fence and let them outside and they will figure it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by