How tall can waterer be?

Yo Yo Oreo

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2020
Hey everyone. Quick question here about waterer systems. I was thinking about getting a kiddie pool for my ducks (which is 1 mother muscovy and currently 9 ducklings about 7 weeks old) but I am not sure I'll be able to find one this time of year. So my thought next was to get a low stock tank. TSC sells a 50 gal one that is only 12 inches tall. Is that too tall for the little ducklings? Could I build some steps with pavers or bricks for them?

If that is too tall what do you recommend? I need something decent sized for winter as I'll use a deicer but need it to hold lots of water. Right kow they have a bowl about 12" diameter and maybe 4" tall that i need to refill several times a day for them. My concern if i get something too small is that they will splash the water out and I'll burn out the heating element quickly.

wyoDreamer

Free Ranging
Nov 10, 2010
NE Wisconsin
Use the stock tank and build a ramp to get to the top. They will love it!
I would also connect a hose to the drain right away and get a ball valve fixture for the end of the hose. A stock tank is heavy when you try to dump it to clean it out and the hose will let you direct the water away from where the pool is.

Yo Yo Oreo

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2020
Use the stock tank and build a ramp to get to the top. They will love it!
I would also connect a hose to the drain right away and get a ball valve fixture for the end of the hose. A stock tank is heavy when you try to dump it to clean it out and the hose will let you direct the water away from where the pool is.
Thanks a bunch for the quick reply! That is a really smart idea with the hose, I will be sure to do that! :)

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
In winter the hose may freeze. I put my ball valve right next to the tank and direct water away with pvc pipe.
Once the valve is closed any water still in the pipe drains out.

A couple pics. I also built a ducky deck to help keep things in the pen dry.

IMG_20200524_114337.jpg IMG_20200528_100910.jpg

IMG_20200614_083748.jpg
The rectangle is covered with my access door. If I could do it over I would have the tank turned and the valve outside the pen. They like to poo on my little door. 🤢

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Anna
Premium Feather Member
Jul 19, 2020
NY
Hey everyone. Quick question here about waterer systems. I was thinking about getting a kiddie pool for my ducks (which is 1 mother muscovy and currently 9 ducklings about 7 weeks old) but I am not sure I'll be able to find one this time of year. So my thought next was to get a low stock tank. TSC sells a 50 gal one that is only 12 inches tall. Is that too tall for the little ducklings? Could I build some steps with pavers or bricks for them?

If that is too tall what do you recommend? I need something decent sized for winter as I'll use a deicer but need it to hold lots of water. Right kow they have a bowl about 12" diameter and maybe 4" tall that i need to refill several times a day for them. My concern if i get something too small is that they will splash the water out and I'll burn out the heating element quickly.
I have a stock tank for my ducks. This is the one I have.
My tank is buried in the ground on one side and I have a fence on the other. (the fence is on thee side where the drain is so I can get to the drain.)
I can try to get a picture of it tomorrow if you want.

Top Bottom