1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How tall should my fences be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by musicalchickenraiser, Jul 1, 2008.

1. musicalchickenraiser

musicalchickenraiser In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    I'm about to begin sketching out designs for movable fence sections and I need a good idea of how high chickens can fly. Any suggestions would be great.

2. kstaven

kstaven Crowing Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:What breeds are you going to be penning???????????

This is the biggest determining factor. Some heavy breeds are good for 4 feet while other laying breeds can clear 6 feet if they so decide to do so.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got a Wheaten Penedesenca that easily flies to the top of my covered run - it's over 6' high.

I also have some EEs and an Ameraucana that easily fly at least 5'.

Will your run be covered?

4. musicalchickenraiser

musicalchickenraiser In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    I have 3 Rhode Island Reds currently.

5. spook

spook Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    North Central Florida
    Now this is an odd situation as I have to have a top on my 6' fence or they fly over, yet when they are out free ranging, we have a 3 ft fence, the plastic mesh type with rope around the top to show it to us humans. I do not understand it, other then that is what they want. Good luck!

6. It needs to be roofed or covered securely to keep predators out. A chicken can fly 30' into a tree but that's not the real issue- losing them as a cheap meal for predators is the issue.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: