1. legacy lane

legacy lane New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    I am building some multi purpose tractors that will be used for chicks, pullets, cornish x, rabbits, and grow outs (rabbits until butcher/selling age). How tall should I make them ?
    Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you want it easy, make them tall enough to walk into without crawling.
    Otherwise they only need to be slightly taller than the animals to be housed. Keep in mind that sooner or later you'll have to crawl to all corners of it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s personal preference. You do need to be able to access all areas, maybe to retrieve eggs or injured or dead animals. I don’t know that you have to necessarily crawl, I’ve used a rake to reach some things. There is a huge convenience in being able to walk in there; that cannot be denied. For the animals themselves a couple of feet tall is high enough. For your convenience, higher is better.

There are a couple of reasons to not make it too tall. Those things can get pretty heavy and hard to move. The higher they are the more materials you need so can they get heavy. Another possible issue is that the taller they are, the more wind area you have and the higher the center of gravity. In a strong wind they are more likely to blow over if they are not pretty stable. You might consider a hoop house design and not use any solid materials up high that will catch the wind to keep wind area and weight down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by