how the heck did I miss that?!?! upside down egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, May 13, 2010.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I candle frequently. I had eggs in the hatcher on day 21 and I also have some eggs(ran out of room in the other bator) that needed to be turned. I just add some hot steamy water to bring the humidity up after I turn, been working fine. On a whim I decided to candle one of the eggs on day 21 since I had no pips. It was dark (blue egg), couldn't see air cell or anything. Thought I might have just missed a bad egg when I decided to candle the small end. There was the air sac? The breeder marked the egg on the other end, I marked it on the other end AND in all my candlings didn't catch it, I don't know how. I have done this early on in incubating but never had any make it to the hatcher upside down. Since I hatch in cartons I decided to just lay it down in case it oriented itself upside down. [​IMG] that it hatches

anyone have success hatching an egg that was upside down the WHOLE time?

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    I let one of my mallards hatch some eggs at the end of the season. I just didn't take the last few eggs. After they hatched and she left the nest I checked and found one egg. The baby was fully formed but didn't pip. The egg was an odd shape. Just a little bent. I think it is important what shape the egg is at pipping time. They must need to get a particular angle of beak to egg shell wall in order to break the shell. Since the chick is up side down, when the time comes, you may need to give it a hand to pip.

This is just a guess on my part but the bump may get you an expert answer. [​IMG]

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I did that once - I didn't catch it until about two weeks in. It was a very round, light-brown bantam egg, and I really couldn't tell which end was which, so I put the end the breeder marked up.

I caught it after three candlings, when the embryo quit. I was turning the egg, making absolutely sure that it was dead, and I noticed that the air cell was in the bottom of the egg. [​IMG]

Oh well - I don't know if being upside down had anything to do with the egg quitting at all, but now I always candle and make absolutely sure I know where the air cell is before I put the eggs in the 'bator, and I now I monitor the air cells throughout incubation to adjust the humidity instead of using a hygrometer - I have much better luck that way.

Anywho, I'm crossing my fingers for your upside-down egg! [​IMG]

4. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    I have had the unfortunate experience of doing that to my ENTIRE first hatch:( Don't know how I missed following that part in the instructions and had done enough research so that I should have known better. However, all 14 eggs that made it to lockdown were incubated pointy side up. Only realized my HUGE mistake when I removed the egg turner! Out of 14 eggs, one chick managed to turn himself around and hatched out correctly. 4 more chicks hatched out towards the pointy end and had to have minor assistance. So it is possible that the chick can turn or hatch out upside down. But as my numbers suggest (5 out of 14, or about 36%), the viability rate goes way down:( Crossing my fingers for your blue egg!

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yeah, I have done it and caught it after a week or so but never did it the WHOLE time and I have incubated a LOT of eggs the past couple years. I guess I will wait and see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by