HOW TO ADD DUCKS TO AN EXISTING FLOCK?

CrayCrayChick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Canada, Prince Edward Island
Hi, I have 8 hens (3 red stars and 5 white leghorns), and I'm looking into getting a couple of ducks. I raised my girls from day one, they've NEVER fought, and I've never seen them be aggressive towards anything, even my small dog that steals their scraps sometimes.
I wanted to to 2 ducks-I was thinking a Welsh Harlequin and a Cayuga-as ducklings from a hatchery. My question is, what is the best way to introduce the ducks to my hens, when they are old enough? What age should I introduce them? I've been reading and I've gotten mixed opinions on keeping ducks and hens in the same coop and run.
In my case, if I used the correct method, could this work? What is the best way to introduce them?
Thanks

I think it can work, and I also find there are so many right ways to do things, and what works for one does not work for the other. It is really up to the ducks, I always say.

Female ducks have a better chance at working out - drakes are dangerous to have around chickens in case they try to mate with them.

I feel that if they can be side by side but separated by a fence at first, and get used to each other, and get treats at the same time, that once the ducklings are as big as the chickens you can start supervised time together and see how it goes. Then just baby steps from there.

Thanks, dividing their pen by wire would definitely be a good approach!
big_smile.png

I am not sure on how to introduce new ducks to an existing chicken flock but I raised my chickens and ducks together from day olds and we haven't had any issues so far. They share the coop at night but free range all day. The ducks go to the creek and the chickens spend the day out in the fields. They all come back on their own at dusk and go into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom