How to Add Ventilation w/ Small Walls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by devora, Feb 14, 2012.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I would like to add some more ventilation but do not have a ton of wall space to cut into. There are windows but perhaps not enough of them.

Is there a passive fan thingie (forgive the technical talk) I should use that might be better than a window? Whether it's a window or fan, should it be at the bottom of a wall or up toward the top?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. You could use a hole saw close to the top of the coop

[​IMG]

I'd do it on top so the chickens don't have a draft coming at them when it's windy.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Can you post a pic so we can get a better look at what your working with? That way the great minds here at BYC can offer ideas. Of course I am not included in that great mind class.[​IMG]

4. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

Roof vents! Vents work best with an in take and an exit. Check out your house, it likely has vents near the ridge and perferated soffits under the eves, to exhaust the hot air from the attic.

5. mb poultry

mb poultry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    I use a sloped roof on all my coops, from 4x4 coops to 10x10 coops. Hardware cloth over the open ends of the rafters allows good ventilation without drafts. I do have one coop made different, and I used the hole saw around the top of the walls about every 2ft, and covered the holes with wire.

6. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I built a very small coop and I put the vents up at the top of my coop on both sides. I read this is where they should go. I don't have chickens yet so we will see if this works. I have a remote humidity/temp monitor in there. It shows 50-90% humidity in there without chickens! Seems like the humidity is highest in the morning.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I think there are fans for horse trailers that don't use electricity. You could check out that for an option. Good ventilation is very important.I think I will check on that fan for myself too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by