How to block light out of coop

ukjoncollins

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
Hi,
I've got a couple of bantams and a light Sussex that have started making an absolute racket first thing in the morning. I live in an urban area so before I get any complaints I want to investigate ways of preventing this. To start with has anyone developed a way of blocking the light out without preventing air flow? It's a small 3 bird coop with 2 round 5cm air holes on one side and an adjustable sliding hatch on the other.
Thanks
Jon

A friend installed a pvc pipe through the roof down to just a couple inches off the floor for ventilation. The idea was the cold air off the floor would be drawn up the pipe along with any of the smell from the litter. I don't know how well this worked for him, but it probably doesn't let in any light, but still keeps the coop well ventilated.

"cold air off the floor would be drawn up"

Since cold air does not rise, I suspect this did not work well for ventilation without a fan.

Chris

"cold air off the floor would be drawn up"

Since cold air does not rise, I suspect this did not work well for ventilation without a fan.

Chris
In the winter the cold air in the coop, at the bottom of the pipe, isn't as cold as the cold air outside, at the top of the pipe, so it creates a draft up the pipe. Like a fireplace, even without a fire, the air will be drawn up the chimney.

That's interesting. You'd still need an inlet at the top though to replace the air displaced. Unfortunately I don't think I could really fit that to my cage though.

However it has given me an idea, what about using u-bend pipes designed for sinks on either end of the house as ventelation? Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Theoretically it should prevent light if they're black and air can still pass through.

Back
Top Bottom