How to Break a Broody Hen

I have a LArge Fowl Cochin that went broody 3 days ago. I put her in a wire bottom dog crate, elevated it and also laid a fan down to blow across the floor. She is still just laying in there, doesn't move all day. She doesn't hiss or peck at me when I take her out, but she just sleeps all the time. I am getting worried as she has lost weight. There are no eggs under her. She is usually a very social girl, and last night she ignored mealworms that I placed in front of her. Any suggestions?

I have a LArge Fowl Cochin that went broody 3 days ago. I put her in a wire bottom dog crate, elevated it and also laid a fan down to blow across the floor. She is still just laying in there, doesn't move all day. She doesn't hiss or peck at me when I take her out, but she just sleeps all the time. I am getting worried as she has lost weight. There are no eggs under her. She is usually a very social girl, and last night she ignored mealworms that I placed in front of her. Any suggestions?
Large fowl cochins are near impossible to break. They are the only breed that will sit down tight in a cage. I put mine in with a spare rooster who makes sure they don't sit.

You may have to hang you cage higher and leave her in it longer. A broody hen is in a trance when sitting on the nest so they often don't acknowledge you, so her not eating is normal. Keep at it, she should break but it will take longer. Expect at least a week.

She doesn't have mites or worms. I think I will take her to my Vet on Monday based on the fact that she is not exhibiting typical "broody" behavior. I have never had a chicken go broody and this is my first LFCochin. Thanks for the reply!

Cochin bantams are the worst... I think the only other breed that goes broody more than them is silkies... I have a silkie and 2 cochin bantams sitting in the nest boxes right now. I have the silkie sitting on eggs but my other 2 girls I will try to break broody. They are my good egg layers so it's time to kick em out and lay some eggs lol

She is not egg bound. I even put her in warm water tonight, gave her 300mg Calcium,massaged her butt. There is no egg stuck in there. She is just (I hope) a stubborn broody girl

Some broody hens just sit there. No clucking no nothing, I call them zombie broodies. It's so predators can't detect their presence.

I have 11 chickens. An one on them is broody. We have no roosters so the eggs are not fertilized. She will lay on the eggs as soon as they are layed. When I come to gather the eggs she puffs up and try's to peck me. Any help would be great.
Thanks

I have 11 chickens. An one on them is broody. We have no roosters so the eggs are not fertilized. She will lay on the eggs as soon as they are layed. When I come to gather the eggs she puffs up and try's to peck me. Any help would be great.
Thanks

If you don't want to get her some fertile eggs to hatch or graft some chicks to her in a few weeks, the kindest thing would be to break her. The most effective way I'be read to do this is to put her in an elevated wire bottomed cage with nothing but food and water for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom