How to Break a Broody Hen

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you :) With Problems Like this You have to post in the Disease/Emergencies / Cures.
I Am thinking an Prolapse. If you want more opinions ect i would post in the disease section, if you want links pm me and ill send them to you :)
Do you know how to Pm (personal Message)
-Mark

I just want to let you know how much I appreciate this forum. I'm having trouble with a broody chicken right now. I'm going to try confining her to a box for a few days and see what happens. Last time we had this problem, we just went out and bought some fertilized eggs. But now we have 4 chickens and 3 roosters, including one stray rooster who found us, flew over the fence and adopted us, and don't really want more. Do you think this will work with free-range chickens? Right now, she doesn't have a nesting box. She just flies over the fence and lays on the front porch. The kids have been instructed to pick her up whenever they're outside and carry her to the far corner of the backyard. She's always back within 10 minutes or so, but at least she's stretched her legs and wings.

Hey there!
frow.gif

I just wanted to add my broody thoughs ... A friend of mine told me her grandma would break up a broody hen by dunking her under water really fast, so I tryed this with 6 or 7 of my BOs, but they ran right back to their nest. So I did it again ... again ... and again!!!
NO LUCK!!!
hu.gif

Then I tryed the cage idea no luck either. The Buff Orpingtons are such a broody breed you can't make them stop. And I don't want "ANY" more broody hens setting because I already have 4!
And there all setting on around ... 12 to 14 eggs each, exept 1 who is setting on 4 .. but stilll ...!
roll.png

Hey there, this is a timely thread for me, as I'm dealing with my first broodie: my usually sweet BO. She's been broody for a few days now and today we finally created a broody pen. We put our extra dog crate inside the run, elevated it on four bricks, and put the broody hen in with some food and water. My only concern is that the spaces between the wires are wide and her feet seemed to be going down in between them. So, we put a 2x4 in the crate for her to perch on. Do you think this is okay, or should we try to put some other kind of (wire) surface in there for her to sit on? I know she's supposed to be a bit uncomfortable, but I don't want her to get hurt. Also, I'm hoping that by keeping her in the run, where the other birds can see her, she'll re-integrate easily with the flock after she stops being broody. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

What an interesting thread. My little banty has been insistent upon being broody. After 2 weeks in the nest & throwing her off, I got her a 1/2 dz. fertilized eggs. Moved her from the hen house to the store room. She looked at me & looked at those eggs as if to say, 'Well, it's about time you got the message Mom', hopped on those eggs & has been a happy camper since. Expect them to hatch next weekend. Now the youngest of my hens is showing signs of broodiness too. Have a feeling she might just try stealing a chick or two.
lol.png

Hi Everyone -- I knew I could count on the BYC gang to have the info I needed! My timid little Fayoumi has gone broody on me - she's the one I'd least expect this from. She's gone from timid to ferocious practically over night! I'll have to find a wire-bottomed cage and QUICK! I've taken to using leather welding gloves to get her off the nest so I can get the eggs out and she'll go out to the yard and eat. Thanks for the info - I'll let you know how it goes in a few days! JD
he.gif

I just give them some eggs and let them go for it! yOU CAN always sell baby chicks on CL and make a few bucks! Blessings, Keri

Thanks for posting this. I think I have a broody I need to bust! I would love to raise chicks but don't have space set up for her to be alone with her brood.

I must tell you all my broody lil' Abigail is now a proud momma of 5 babies. 2 weeks of broody & then 21 days straight, I figured I wasn't going to fight Mother Nature. Abby's fellow hen & sister has been showing broody signs for over a month but every time I remove the eggs she eventually goes out with the rest of the girls. Some of them were just meant to be momma's. Why fight it. You might loose a few eggs for your larder over the weeks but the other ones will make up for it. My store room, with a light & cordoned off has mad a wonderful little hatchery. This is a wonderful experience Easter chicks. Wish all the best & wonder & joy of being a chick momma & head hen.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom