How to Break a Broody Hen

I have 5 leghorn pullets and one has found the "dark side". I was told to keep her from entering the box, while the other girls laid. After they are done with their chores I should block off the 3 boxes so she can't enter. Curious if anyone has ever tried this method, and if so how did it work? This is the 1st full day I have closed off the boxes. At first she went right back to the coop and realized she couldn't load up! She immediately went on the roost. I don't know how long she stayed there, but now she is roaming around the yard with her friends. Any ideas how I should continue? If she lays in the yard will she return to the box after I keep it open?

If she is broody she isn't laying so no need to worry about that.

I don't know about your chickens but mine lay any time of the day. And those that lay really well (like 8 or more days before a day off) lay a bit later every day until their "off" day. No way I could block off the boxes to keep a broody out.

If she is broody she isn't laying so no need to worry about that.

I don't know about your chickens but mine lay any time of the day. And those that lay really well (like 8 or more days before a day off) lay a bit later every day until their "off" day. No way I could block off the boxes to keep a broody out.
Thanks for your input! The Pullets haven't figured it out yet are are all done laying by 10am. As I had not read your reply, I let them out of the coop and picked up the girl giving me the issue. I put her in the chicks cage until the other 4 layed. I closed the boxes up and let her back with the other ones. Did the same thing today, and she has not showed any interest of even going in the coop until its time to roost. Now just waiting to she when she starts laying again.

My 1 year old Silkie has gone broody for the 3rd time. I put her in a cage in the run, after 4 days, I let her out. She walked around for a few minutes then ran into the coop and into a nest box. How long does it take to break her of this?

I have found that it depends on the bird, how long they were broody before I started the "process" and how warm the ambient temps are. It usually takes longer when it is hot out than when it is cool.

You really need to decide when she gets parole based on how she is acting. If she is still making the broody clucking noises, she needs to stay in. If she talks to you in a "normal voice" for her, she is probably ready to rejoin society at large. Good luck!

Hi all.. so I stumbled upon a way of "broody breaking" that has worked better than the wire bottom cage or locking her out of the nests. I found that totally cleaning out the nest boxes and changing the type of nesting material has worked instantly. The first time it happened on accident as I was cleaning while she was broody and thought it was a coincidence. Anyway I just did this again this evening (I have a silky that goes broody every couple months) and tonight she jumped into the nest, looked around, and then roosted with the other girls. Maybe it is just her but I thought it was worth sharing because nothing else I have found works like this for her. I have been switching between pine litter shavings, hay, and shredded paper. Hope this helps!! Good luck!

Sounds like she is over it then. My last 2 that went broody did so on 7/28. In the box for 3 nights. Haven't laid yet, I'm wondering if they are deciding to moult.
The Girl with the issue finally laid after 3 days after being broke! What she laid almost resembled an egg! It was round and had about a quarter size defect of bumps and pits. Needless to say that one when right into the trash. Waiting for her to lay today to see if she is back on track!

The problem with my girl is she is feral all the signs point to broodiness no matter how much times i try to get her out of her nest she keeps going back she growls, peck at me her feathers all poofed up!!!.I can't catch her coz she is feral i don't have a wire cage to put her in i am seriously ready to give up... She's laying 1 egg per day whether or not she lays or not she spends hours on end in her nesting area and when i trying to collect her egg boy does she growls loud then pecks my hand as i try to remove her... Please help!!!!
Lila

Back
Top Bottom