How to Breed Extra Large Quail (around 2+ lbs)

ctheGreat1

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 16, 2009
I am wondering if there is a method to breed extra large quail? Culling the eggs is one method to get larger eggs, and good feed and water is a plus.... But I am looking to get a meaty bobwhite. Any suggestions?

I haven't heard of coturnix being that big at all. Nothing close to it actually. There is a variety of bobwhites that get over 2 pounds though.

*generally*

You would select the largest males and hens and only breed them, anything that doesn't make weight after X point gets eaten, the ones with the best size breeds.

Some things to watch for:

Sometimes in poultry a large bird is merely fat, and hs trouble breeding, so do egg checks from the pen with your perferred breeders BEFORE processing the rest...

Example roo A is 20.2 oz on the scale, roo B is 18.6, you would want to put roo A in the pen with big hens, but if he can't mount and fertalize the hens, then roo B gets a shot to stud out, and roo A becomes dinner.

Get a good digital scale that does 1/10 ounces, or grams so you have good weights.

This would be a long-term project, so be ready to spend time on selecting and improving your stock, keep solid records (excel file would do it) and you'll have to use the same benchmarks ( weigh them all and record at week 13, instead of random weigh ins). If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, someone'll know the answer.

Quote:
I am not really interested in coturnix Quail.... As you state, the birds weigh in around a pound. Which Bobwhite is over 2 pounds?

butler bobwhite are absolutly huge!! they are the only bobwhite/quail that will get over 2 pounds thus being the largest bobwhite- better than jumbo wisconsin or georgia giants

Quote:
THERE'S NO SECRET TO IT... ITS A SPECIFIC BREED. THEY'RE CALLED BUTLER BOB WHITE. AND FEMALES ROUTINELY GET WELL OVER A POUND AND MALES UPWARDS OF 32 OZ----- THEY ARE THE SUMO WRESTLERS OF QUAIL!!!

Back
Top Bottom