How to breed red breasted king quail

Just choose your male and give him 1-2 females and incubate the eggs and/or let them brood.
Lol sorry I shoulda been more clear, I meant like breed the mutation, you know? Not breed two that are already that mutation

Lol sorry I shoulda been more clear, I meant like breed the mutation, you know? Not breed two that are already that mutation
@Serin may be able to give you more info on breeding for specific color but I thought red breast was the standard color. But of course there’s darth Vader mutation etc. I know more about cot color genetics than king.

@Serin may be able to give you more info on breeding for specific color but I thought red breast was the standard color. But of course there’s darth Vader mutation etc. I know more about cot color genetics than king.
Thanks, from what i can tell (it gets complicated as names for the different mutations vary from place to place), red breasted are pretty much just like wild types but with more red on their chest, although other websites say that they also have a dark head and bib, similar to the darth vader except a little less black, as they still have some white stripes...

Thanks, from what i can tell (it gets complicated as names for the different mutations vary from place to place), red breasted are pretty much just like wild types but with more red on their chest, although other websites say that they also have a dark head and bib, similar to the darth vader except a little less black, as they still have some white stripes...
I just ordered some eggs from zebrafinch.com. You can buy 10-18 of each variety he has, and one choice is red breasted/darth Vader. I haven’t hatched mine yet, but I ordered them and received them in less than a week, and all were good and uncracked, but my turner cracked 2. It was a really reasonable price, I got 36 eggs, packed in foam, shipping included, for $38 or so. I’m thinking about getting the cinnamon red breasted as well, I think they’re quite beautiful.

I just ordered some eggs from zebrafinch.com. You can buy 10-18 of each variety he has, and one choice is red breasted/darth Vader. I haven’t hatched mine yet, but I ordered them and received them in less than a week, and all were good and uncracked, but my turner cracked 2. It was a really reasonable price, I got 36 eggs, packed in foam, shipping included, for $38 or so. I’m thinking about getting the cinnamon red breasted as well, I think they’re quite beautiful.
Thank you so much, I hope I can get them where I live!

Thank you so much, I hope I can get them where I live!
The site says anywhere in the lower 48 in the US. It also says if you live somewhere else, contact him because he may know someone in your country that he can put you in contact with.

If your trying to breed from different colored birds to obtain the red breasted gene, then you will need to do DNA test on them, to see if they have the red breasted gene ( which would be recessive) in those that are not pure red breasted birds. It would require both birds to posses the red breasted gene to have red breasted offspring.

Easier just to breed 2 red breasted birds.

* but you might get some other interesting colors!

The site says anywhere in the lower 48 in the US. It also says if you live somewhere else, contact him because he may know someone in your country that he can put you in contact with.
Cool, thanks! I'm in Australia so fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom