How To Build Button Quail Cages

quailmaster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Houston,TX
I am going to get some button quail next week and wanted to know if anyone had any pictures or instructions in makeing button quail breeding cages.I have seen some cages on the internet but I am not sure how to make them.I would like to make the cages out of material out of a hardware store to make it easier for me.

Thanks

Last edited:
big storage tub with dirt/wood chips fake plant for hiding a lamp for light and for a top...

take the tub's lid and cut the center out and replace it with mesh wire.

That's my plan...

It should work.

I am getting button quail in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on using the storage bin method...sounds easy. You probably want to keep them inside a house/shed/barn. They are sensitive temp. wise. I'm keeping mine in the tack room.

Building cages is really easy. You'll need a few things at a minimum:

Wire cutter, J-clips, and J-clip pliers. That's about it! Cut the wire to size and attach it together with the J-clips.

The place I buy my wire has all sizes and styles. For my coturnix, I usually uses 1" x 1/2" for the bottom and 1" x 2" for the front, back, top, and sides (with this size, they can stick their heads through to reach the feeder and waterer). Cut each piece to size per your own design and you always have custom cages. You'll probably use some smaller wire for buttons.

If you are handy in the least bit, you should have no problem building most small sized cages in less than an hour. The hardest part is cutting the wire. Some good heavy duty wire cutters make the job easier. You have to cut each individual strand of wire, so it really gets my hands hurting after a while. If you are using the small type wire, it's a lot easier because you can use tin snips rather than the heavier cutters.

I find it easier to cut individual pieces for the top, bottom, front, and back. But you can make those all out of one piece of wire and just bend the wire where you need it. That leaves j-clips only needed along one edge.

Cut an opening the size you need, and then a piece of wire slightly larger than the opening and you have a door. Use the J-clips as hinges and there are all sorts of ways to make the latch.

Try it. You'll enjoy making your own cages.

Thanks for the information WCO
big_smile.png
,I'm going to make a couple this week.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom