how to build on to this coop?

thank you. i don't have a saw i could buy a hand saw but not an electric saw.

Then you will definitely want to think in the dimensions that lumber comes in -- which is multiples of 4.

And, though I prefer the durability of metal roofing, you will probably be better able to deal with the corrugated plastic. It's lighter and easier to cut. DON'T get Ondura -- that stuff is garbage.

If you're willing to invest in tools, DeWalt has a series of cordless drills/drivers/etc. that all take the same batteries and which are light and handy to use even for my small hands at a fairly affordable pricepoint. The basic drill is probably the most versatile because you can use both drill bits and screwdriver heads in it.

People online seem to either love or hate Ondura. I think results are climate dependent. Ondura works and lasts very well in my climate. We put it on a 40x100 foot barn five years ago after it held up so well on a garage (ten to fifteen years before we put it on the barn). It is doing well on the barn too.

The cost of building supplies is really high right now. 😢 Building a new coop in today’s economy (even a small one) would be well over $500. Likely closer to $1500-2000. If you don’t have building experience, but you want to add on to your coop, I would suggest finding a really nice, solid wood dog house or similar on Facebook marketplace. Sanitize really well. (Do not get anything made purely of OSB - that is chip board and held together with adhesive that breaks down with moisture) Modify the bottom by putting it on 4x4s to elevate it to the same height and put hardware cloth around the bottom. Or something similar. When you cut out a section of your old coop to join with the new, make sure you stabilize the cut-out with at least 1x4 material. Go from coop floor to ceiling. Make sure you secure the addition to your old coop without any gaps. If you sink the the new 4x4s in the ground and secure your old coop to those, it would help you with strong winds that could potentially send your current coop tumbling. I would seal all cracks and gaps with paintable caulking for windows and doors, then paint the whole thing to match your house! Oh, and don’t forget to prime. The paint and primer in one is actually a marketing deal. They never changed the paint to “include” primer and it will fail much quicker 😉

Attachments

• FEFAFCCB-6274-4580-8CAA-1C4598F5E539.jpeg
    FEFAFCCB-6274-4580-8CAA-1C4598F5E539.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Then you will definitely want to think in the dimensions that lumber comes in -- which is multiples of 4.

And, though I prefer the durability of metal roofing, you will probably be better able to deal with the corrugated plastic. It's lighter and easier to cut. DON'T get Ondura -- that stuff is garbage.

If you're willing to invest in tools, DeWalt has a series of cordless drills/drivers/etc. that all take the same batteries and which are light and handy to use even for my small hands at a fairly affordable pricepoint. The basic drill is probably the most versatile because you can use both drill bits and screwdriver heads in it.
yes we have a cordless drill with all the bits.

Also, if you’d like your roof to last a bit longer, caulk around the roof joints and holes with “through the roof” caulking. Great stuff 👍
You will need to replace this roof eventually. But, if it’s fairly new, you should be able to get a few good years out of it first!

The cost of building supplies is really high right now. 😢 Building a new coop in today’s economy (even a small one) would be well over $500. Likely closer to $1500-2000. If you don’t have building experience, but you want to add on to your coop, I would suggest finding a really nice, solid wood dog house or similar on Facebook marketplace. Sanitize really well. (Do not get anything made purely of OSB - that is chip board and held together with adhesive that breaks down with moisture) Modify the bottom by putting it on 4x4s to elevate it to the same height and put hardware cloth around the bottom. Or something similar. When you cut out a section of your old coop to join with the new, make sure you stabilize the cut-out with at least 1x4 material. Go from coop floor to ceiling. Make sure you secure the addition to your old coop without any gaps. If you sink the the new 4x4s in the ground and secure your old coop to those, it would help you with strong winds that could potentially send your current coop tumbling. I would seal all cracks and gaps with paintable caulking for windows and doors, then paint the whole thing to match your house! Oh, and don’t forget to prime. The paint and primer in one is actually a marketing deal. They never changed the paint to “include” primer and it will fail much quicker 😉
My hubby estimated the same price this am when we were talking about it.

Hi,
I have a annoying prefab coop ( that is falling apart ) and said it is sutible for four birds but that's obviously not the case. I want to build on to it. we built on to the run a little while ago and then recently we built on to that. so they have a good 40 square feet for all 4 of my birds.

but here are my questions
*how would I make a whole in the existing coop to build on.
*and my coop I already have needs to be sealed in some places before winter (like little cracks and stuff) what do I use?

some things to keep in mind
* I live in a neighborhood that has coop size requirements.
* I can not spend a lot of money.
* I have four chickens that's the requirement in my town.
* they are all small breeds (not bantams) exept for one barred rock.
* I live in Colorado with strong winds and snow.
* I have barley any building skills.

*please don't make fun of me. I have learned a lot about coops in that 5 month time frame.

Thanks!

here are some photos
View attachment 2840053
here are my girls! (only three of them).
View attachment 2840054
this is my run we built like a week ago.
View attachment 2840055
see we live in a neighborhood.
View attachment 2840056
here is the back of the coop.

View attachment 2840057
here is the front.
We had a small coop at first like this for our 2 ducks and goose---(LOL, obviously had no clue how big they really got!!). We built a much bigger (for us) new coop ourselves and the little one (reinforced and customized) is now our 'sick hen quarantine', 'broody hens', or temp 'new chicks' coop. I know lumber is so high now and without tools or a some knowledge it could be a frustrating nightmare to try to build one. (Our tools are lame and old, and we were not carpenters by any means, but watched a lot of Youtube vids and had a lot of teach-ourselves experience working on our 250 year old house, DIY for many years.) Maybe you could find free, salvaged pallets if you really want to try to build something yourselves, but honestly there is framing, flooring, windows, a door...It gets complicated for even a simple design.
If I were in your position, I would sure try Craig's List first, asap, to see if you can find a coop someone built and has no need of now. You can always clean, paint, and make it your own. We have seen lots on there. Best of luck! You can find something!

Last edited:
Hi,
I have a annoying prefab coop ( that is falling apart ) and said it is sutible for four birds but that's obviously not the case. I want to build on to it. we built on to the run a little while ago and then recently we built on to that. so they have a good 40 square feet for all 4 of my birds.

but here are my questions
*how would I make a whole in the existing coop to build on.
*and my coop I already have needs to be sealed in some places before winter (like little cracks and stuff) what do I use?

some things to keep in mind
* I live in a neighborhood that has coop size requirements.
* I can not spend a lot of money.
* I have four chickens that's the requirement in my town.
* they are all small breeds (not bantams) exept for one barred rock.
* I live in Colorado with strong winds and snow.
* I have barley any building skills.

*please don't make fun of me. I have learned a lot about coops in that 5 month time frame.

Thanks!

here are some photos
View attachment 2840053
here are my girls! (only three of them).
View attachment 2840054
this is my run we built like a week ago.
View attachment 2840055
see we live in a neighborhood.
View attachment 2840056
here is the back of the coop.

View attachment 2840057
here is the front.
Most all of us has made their share of mistakes when it come to chickens, so don't feel along.

Your coop is about maxed out at three chickens, and these prefab sold in stores are quite flimsily at best. I don't know what to tell you without knowing how much $ you have to invest. But a roll of 4' 1 inch by 25' is aprox $26. at Lowes or Home Depot. 2"x2" x 8' are about $3.75 each. For less that $75. you could add some good space, with chicken wire on the top, sides.

You might look at Crags list, sometimes I see someone who has give up on chickens and has a coop or material pretty reasonable.

I am sorry you are in the situation with this store bought coop.

Back
Top Bottom