how to capture loose chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by macombcochick, Sep 23, 2015.

1. macombcochick

macombcochick Out Of The Brooder

I have noticed a chicken on the loose in a field near my home. Does anyone have tips to share on how I might capture it. I believe it's an Americauna or EE. It's pretty skittish--when approached and always keeps a distance or disappears into the trees and brush. Amazingly, I have seen it on the corner of a very congested and busy intersection picking up grit from the road seemingly unaware of the traffic. I would like to capture her before winter gets here--gets pretty brutal in Michigan in winter.

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Cage with food possibly? No real clue but i bet he/ she straving.

3. PeppyLaRoo

PeppyLaRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Wait till dark. It will be much easier.

4. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama
    Yes it will be easier after dark if you know where she's roosting. Take a towel to pick her up and wrap around her to keep her from flapping and you from getting scratched when she panics. This might sound mean, but if you shine a bright light in her eyes she can't see and you can easily get her.
    Oh, and if you have an existing flock you should probably quarantine her for a month in case she has any diseases. It seems like a long time, but better safe than sorry. You wouldn't want to lose your whole flock.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by