How to care for ducks in winter

Oct 14, 2021
Western Washington
This is my first year with ducks and cold weather it is going to be 25 degrees at the high and 9 at the low! I've had ducks in winter but it's never got that cold here in Washington. Do I keep them in the coop? I can't keep a pool in there. My ducks are my pets and I really don't want to lose them. My pekin already gets so cold in 40 degrees weather we have to keep him inside! They have a big coop that they share with the chickens so any food or anything I bring in wil be shared. Should I free range the ducks and chickens still?

there is safe heaters you can get. a lot of people say ducks are fine in cold but they are definitely not comfortable when it gets that cold, if mine are acting cold when i let them outside i just bring them in for the rest of the day

there is safe heaters you can get. a lot of people say ducks are fine in cold but they are definitely not comfortable when it gets that cold, if mine are acting cold when i let them outside i just bring them in for the rest of the day
They have a stream that they play and drink in and that will freeze we will also might be getting snow I do not like snow and neither do my ducks I think we have a space heater for the ducks! How will the ducks drink? Will my chicken eggs be ok? I have the eggs in my house but I really want them to hatch they were from my favorite hen!

Ok, so I think I should just let them out, the thing is they are not use to that weather. My turkeys never get locked up they just roost on a ten foot fence will they be ok with no shelter?
yes i lit a bon fire for them since the power was out and they didnt want to go near it since they are all free range i dont really have a pen big enough for them all and since we never get below 20 in sa texas nobody saw it coming. the turkeys however might get frost bite since the have such long waddles that happened to my oldest drake whose waddle had come diconected from his bill in his long years of fighting since it dind have the bill to warm it it fell off, but non of the rest did.

I would try to put the turkey up but dont stress about it if you cant.

Back
Top Bottom