How to Catch a Freaked Out Chicken???

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
Ugh. I put our 2 Jersey Giants & 1 fench copper maran (adolescents) in with the big birds to find one pecked on the next morning. I handled them all regularily but the 2 Jerseys are just freaky shy & skiddish. So I went into to the coop to catch all 3 to put them back in the "baby room" (after letting the big guys all out) ~ cause the injured Jersey & Maran, when my husband decided to come in and the 3rd ran out...has been out since. We can't get within 40 feet of her. She's luckily escaped predators for 3 nights now. She shows up and follows the flock at a distance...then runs and hides.

Any suggestions? Should I just let her integrate at her own rate and hope she'll walk into the run with the other birds one day?

I would say watch where she is hiding and catch her then, it will be easier. The more times she wakes up in the coop and comes out of it, the faster she will learn.
Michele

That is the easiest way to do it. That's how I captured the stupid roosters that were causing maddness in the yard. They hardly moved. She may may scream HELLLLLP! But that is normal. Good luck

If I need to catch a girl right away, such as one of mine that has always thought of me as the scariest person on the planet, I use a long string with a loop for a snare. I set it on the ground and bait it, then I get back as far as the string reaches. I try to make sure no other hens are around to get in the way. Make sure the string is taut, then wait. As soon as the right moment arrives, slowly pull the string until it is over her toes, then yank it tight. Bam, chicken on a string.

Well, catching her at night would be a huge no go (wooded hill, too overgrown to walk)

BUT....when I went to put the birds to bed tonight, she was out there and wandered into the run before the other birds got there. I shut the door, followed her inside, cornered her and grabbed her by the tail. She's safely back with the younger birds now. The sibling is still in a separate coop in isolation for it's injured tail (pecking).

We have Barred rock chicks,for the first 4 months or so they would run right through our legs:/
All you do is leave the coop door open,when the sun sets they'll just go in.At least that's when they know that their coop is safe,but when there about 5 to 6 months old you sneak up on them and lunge at them,but don't grab them then or they'll just run,once you lunge they will squat down for you:)

You can also use a live trap to catch a wandering chicken. Just dump some corn inside. Whenever I set traps for coons, I catch more chickens than anything else. I always forget to trip them before I let the birds out to free range in the morning and I've usually caught a bird before I can get back to the house.

There are long poles with a leg hook that are designed specifically for snaring the leg of an errant chicken.

Here is one I googled:
http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_99&products_id=648

Chicken raising people being very inventive, could fashion something similar out of a coat hanger.....and a cane pole perhaps.

Some people use a net on a pole like a butterfly net or one that you use to pull in fish. If you had a net that streached or a fence that was netting, you may be able to herd the chicken into a corner or into a net where you could capture it. I suggest that you get help from other(s) to herd the chicken. Sometimes those stakes used in the garden for tomatoes can extend your reach. Some chickens don't want to be caught---but generally they tire out before we do. Sometimes too---if there is a place with longer grass....they get snarled in the long grass, and just duck down.

Back
Top Bottom