How to Catch a rooster?

Egg1

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Hi! I'm a wannabe BYC caregiver, and this week had a white rooster land in my fenced suburban yard from some neighbor who apparently isn't looking for him. Local feed store will exhibit him as free to good home, but I have to catch and transport him - any suggestions? How do you catch and transport
20191116_125357.jpg
a rooster with clipped wings that doesn't want to be caught?

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I have used a net before, but it's easier to figure out where he is roosting at night and just go pick him up. Then keep him confined with food and water until the next day when you can bring him to the store. If you don't have chicken feed on hand, and I'm sure you don't, you can feed him things like boiled or scrambled egg, tuna, maybe even cat food. Good luck! Beautiful rooster!

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I have used a net before, but it's easier to figure out where he is roosting at night and just go pick him up. Then keep him confined with food and water until the next day when you can bring him to the store. If you don't have chicken feed on hand, and I'm sure you don't, you can feed him things like boiled or scrambled egg, tuna, maybe even cat food. Good luck! Beautiful rooster![/QUOTE

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Its tough to catch chickens, especially those untame ones. I agree, night time is your best bet. If you can't catch him then, maybe over time trying to feed him he may become more friendly and you can lure him into your garage or someplace?

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom