How to catch geese

dustbath

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Washington County, NY
I have been feeding a few Toulouse geese that were abandoned in a pond after their owner died. I'd like to bring them home for the winter (they've made it through two winters but there are now only 4 of them and the flock started as 12) but don't know how to catch them. They won't get closer to me than about 10 feet.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

You will need more than just you. Three is good, more better. Decide who is in charge and work out your game plan ahead of time. Geese are smart. If you mess up, they will be onto you like a duck on a slug.
The best way is to take some 4 foot fencing and make a corral with one part open and herd the geese into it and close them in.

Then one or two go into the corral with a carrier and back the goose into the carrier, holding the goose with one hand on each side of the body and the head tucked under your arm to the back of you. Don't carry them by the legs and don't put them in the carrier head first. What they don't see will make it easier for you and the goose.

It also helps to give everyone a big stick:) not to hit them or anything but to make your arms appear bigger to the geese.
If you watch them for a little bit you will be able to see who is king or queen bee. When you get that goose going then most of the others will go along. Crystal

Thanks! That sounds like an approach I can try. I'm nervous about holding the geese. These guys are pretty wild now and don't let people get very close. Also, aren't they quite strong?

Do you think it would work to use the fencing to herd them onto the back of a pick-up and transport them the 5 miles that way, not in a carrier? Or would that be too dangerous? Would they fly off the truck when it's moving?

You need to put them in a carrier or cage of some sort for transport. They won't stay in the back of the truck unless they are contained. Sorry. You're going to have to catch them and stuff 'em in something until you get home.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom