How to charge for incubating eggs for someone else?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Jan 4, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Incubating eggs for someone else?
    I know someone who asked me if I would consider incubating & hatching some eggs for them, I have no idea what to charge.........

Anyone ever do this?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    maybe charge what the hatcheries charge...set a price per chick.

there is time, electricity and physical work involved. i haven't done this myself, just an idea.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I think if you are incubating your eggs for them charge them for the price of chicks. Are they wanting to buy a dozen and willing to take 2 or 12 depending on what hatches? If they are buying eggs elsewhere I would set a price and make sure they know regardless of how many hatch that price remains the same. Or IF they are getting eggs from a breed you want tell them you will hatch for 1/4-1/2 of the hatched chicks.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would charge a flat rate for the incubation, then so much per bird for the chicks, that way, if they pay you to incubate the eggs, they will most likely not stick you with the chicks. I would say per chick price of about $.50 or $1, plus upfront incubation fee.

5. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    i charge $1 per egg up front,& i don't give a hatch guarantee on the eggs. if the eggs are from your flock i would charge the price of what you sell your chix for,or you could charge them the price of your eggs plus the hatching fee. like others have said get your money up front. if they stick you with the chix sell them on here or craigslist or where ever. the money you get from the "2nd" sell is for your trouble of having to rehome the chix.

6. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Consider the age and price of the incubator, the electricity it uses, the amount of eggs and the space they use, (if you are also hatching).

You must make it clear that you won't be liable for how many of the eggs hatch, because even if they don't hatch, they still used up space in the incubator.

Hope that helps abit. [​IMG]

And don't ask me an exact price, because I use Rands, not Dollars. [​IMG]

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    These are eggs from his birds. So they won;t be shipped as he is local.
    I think $1 per egg should cover my electricity and stuff but what about a flat fee? $5.00, $10.00???
    I really like these people and don't want to make them mad. Besides they own a Donut Shop and this guy makes the best homemade bread and they always give me a break when I buy from them.

8. ArabiansR2Cool

ArabiansR2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

If he's giving you a break on his goods that you buy, then I would give him a break. I would charge $0.25 per egg period.

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:i would start high, the 10 clam mark then he could come back with a lower amt., allowing him to feel he got a bargain and allowing you to be paid for your time.

what about a trade since you utilize his shop?
    bread is cheap for him, but time consuming for you, so what about for the 21 days you incubate, he hooks you up once or twice a week with fresh bread? or better yet, day old bread more often. if you don't ask, you don't get. it's never rude to ask if you do it politely.

sit down and figure out what you want out of the deal. write it down and then propose it to him. best wishes!

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    We don't eat that much bread and I am swearing off donuts [​IMG]
    I think I will ask .50 per egg for incubating and see how that goes.
    Maybe ask for a loaf of bread once a month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by