How to check my baby chickens gender

chicken star

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Hi there! i got a few black Austrolops , koekoeks, rold iron red chicks and i need to know weather they are hens or roosters. can somebody please give me a few tips so i can check weather it is a hen or a rooster.

thanks

Aaisha Muhammad

Welcome to BYC.

There are some general, common traits to look for in sexing young chicks. Some things are specific to each breed, but other things are common to most single combed chickens.

The males will often feather in a bit slower and will often not show much tail length, at 5 weeks, while the females often feather in more quickly and grow a slightly longer tail at 3 to 4 weeks.

At 6 or 7 weeks, the males and females often differ in the growth and color of the comb. The comb of the males often grows much quicker than the female. At 7 weeks, the males comb will often turn red. The female comb doesn't grow very much, at this age, and does not turn red until much later, just before she matures.

The males at 7 weeks will often begin to grow small, red wattles under their beaks. The female, again, do not grow red wattles until closer to maturity. Remember, these are just broad guidelines.

The males often stand taller, hold the head's high and are on alert. Often, there is a head shape difference between males and females that experienced keeper of a particular breed can distinguish through being familiar.

The males are young cocks, so they have thicker, longer legs and feet which gives their walk a different look from the females. Again, through familiarity, the walk becomes noticeable over time.

Hope this helps. Careful observing and noting these small differences all assist in the process of distinguishing.

Last edited:
Hi! thanks for the information! and can you confirm with me that what are the Saddle Feathers and other feather names, do they grown only in males or females? i have herd the word "spurs" and what are those? thanks

Aaisha Muhammad

spurs grow on the chickens legs. Mostly on roosters but some hens grow spurs also. The birds will be close to a year old before they grow small spurs though. Heckle feathers on a rooster's neck are long and thin, same with the saddle feathers before the tail base. These start coming in around 3 to 4 months of age. Roosters only get the saddle and heckle feathers that are long and thin, but some breeds (like the sebrights) are hen feathered.

Hi there!
In some breeds check for the sadle feathers. In males there are shiny and pointy, but unfortunately, some females also get the same type of saddle feathers. Also, this trait isn't available to view in chicks younger then 3 months.

Thanks
Ahmad Muhammad

Back
Top Bottom