How to clean dirty duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lovnlife, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Lovnlife

Lovnlife Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Coffeyville, Ks
    Do you clean duck eggs with water and then disinfect? or just not set dirty duck eggs?

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    You are likely to get a variety of responses to this question.
    As for me, around here in the spring with the mud and all its nearly impossible to ever find a clean duck egg so they must be washed. I prefer to wash them as soon as I bring them in the house under hot running water scrubbing the mud off with my fingers if need be. I set them cross wise on top of an egg carton and let them air dry . I'm not concerned with "bloom" and I don't use any further disinfectant. These seem to incubate and hatch just fine for me.

3. weaversfarm

weaversfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    I just incubated duck eggs in July. I did have one that was pretty dirty and I did wash it before I put it in the incubator. It was the only one out of 25 eggs that I incubated and it didn't hatch out. I'm thinking it was because it was so dirty...the mud stained the egg and I scrubbed on it pretty hard, so I didn't hold much hope that it would hatch out anyways. It was my first attempt at hatching out duck eggs, so I was still pretty pleased that 24 of the 25 hatched out.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I posed this question to a long time duck hatcher-- she said to go ahead and wash gently as the protective coating is thick on a duck egg. I didn't track it for hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by