How to clean silkies and keep them from getting muddy

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
Lately it haa been raining almost every day and . Also they refu se to use their roost bars and when it rains and thw wnow my silkies are very muddy and nasty how do I keep them from getting muddy also how do I bath them and with what soap

You can bathe the silkies in your sink or bath tub like you bathe a cat or dog. You can use baby shampoo or use mild dog shampoos, but make sure you set your hair dryer on low heat as you dry them off. Use a towel first and then hand dry them with the dryer till almost all dry, making sure under the wings are dry too.

Leave the bird in a dog crate in your house to dry completely, before letting it outside, or it will not do well in this winter cold.

I use kids Suave the coconut smelling kind for kids to bath them. Also put Wheat straw or white sand down in the run. This has helped mine from being so dirty.

silkies seem to want to get dirty! LOL They also do not like to roost that much. I had some roosts low and a wee bit higher and no one used them so I took them out. They prefer to stay on the ground with a nice thick layer of pine shaveings. I have heard you can use sand in your runs but never tried it myself. I just let them get dirty. If I absolutely need them clean and fluffy (say for pictures ect..) I will bring them in and bathe them with any mild soap. baby shampoo works well or watered down dog shampoo. The one for white dogs that has a blue tint to it works super on your white birds. If you figure out how to keep them clean let me know! LOL I think the only true way is to keep them up on wire and I would not do that to my birds.

Back
Top Bottom