How to collect and store eggs - - -

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by math ace, Oct 4, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I am ready to start incubating some eggs, but I don't know how to go about collecting and storing the eggs until I have enough to incubate.

I get 2 - 3 eggs a day of the breed I want to hatch.

How long can I collect before they need to go in the incubator.

I live in Florida. Our temps this week are high 80 and low 60.
    In my house it is 78 F.

How do I store the eggs - - where can I store them ? ? In the refrigerator, on the counter, . . ?

HELP, I've never done this before!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Here is how I did it, I collected the eggs I wanted then checked those eggs over if they where dirty or odd shaped I treated them like any other eggs, but if they were "perfect" I set them in a basket in a cool, dry section of our kitchen and when I got the right # I checked them again for any flaws. And the "perfect" ones get incubated.

How long can I collect before they need to go in the incubator.

From my understanding hatching rate goes down after about two weeks, but sooner is better.​

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I'm in fl too and I just stick mine in an egg carton in the closet until I finish collecting for 7 days. Then they go in the bator.
    I did try putting 7 in the bator once from a young bcm pullet that had been in the fridge door for several days. I let them sit for about 8 hrs to get back up to room temperature. 5 out of 7 hatched. I think if you had a wine cooler and put a dish of water in the bottom it would be about perfect to store them in but I haven't gotten one yet.

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i put mine in the fridge & always had good luck, just remember to keep them turned.

5. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks everyone. I've started collecting. Our temps outside are going down to the mid 50s at night. By 8 tonight it was 65F outside. So, I am storing them in our garage since it is colder than my house. Also, am turning them a few times a day.

If you have any other advice - - send it my way.

6. Liexicof15

Liexicof15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Tampa
    Good question. For lack of a place to put them, I just keep adding them to the bator. I have staggered hatches that way. Maybe I'll try the fridge.

7. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    How about humidity? ? Should I mist the eggs each day while I am saving them for incubation ? ?

8. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    i never do, its humid enough in the fridge.

9. kburen

kburen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    I just felt the need to say that I LOVE you picture LOL Is that your pig?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by