How to cut the cost of feeding chickens?

Anyone have any pointers on how to reduce feed costs? I have a 1 acre city property and about 60 chickens and I buy organic at Tractor supply but I imagine there are other ways to do this. I have been reading about Fodder but any other tips out there?
The more they free range the less they eat. But with 60 chickens, you’ll always be spending a good amount. First I would take them off of organic food - way too expensive. Or reduce the number of chickens you have.

I agree about getting them off organic. It's too expensive and you don't need it. Also, what kind of feeders do you have? Get/make good feeders that don't waste the feed.
IMO, organic feed should only be used if you’re selling the eggs as organic and therefore in return you’re getting $10+ per carton.... then I think the feed would pay for itself. But it’s hard to get people to consistently buy eggs at what would make it cost effective.

IMO, organic feed should only be used if you’re selling the eggs as organic and therefore in return you’re getting $10+ per carton.... then I think the feed would pay for itself. But it’s hard to get people to consistently buy eggs at what would make it cost effective.
Yeah OP didn't mention specifically that they *have* to feed organic for some reason... And when looking to cut cost, that's the first place to start, as it would make quite the dent.

Yeah OP didn't mention specifically that they *have* to feed organic for some reason... And when looking to cut cost, that's the first place to start, as it would make quite the dent.
Yea, that’s why I threw that in there. My neighbors / friends are just delighted to have the fresh eggs. I think organic is too difficult to keep up - but like we agreed it depends on what your goal is.

Organic is great if you can afford it. But what are our foraging/free ranging/pasturing hens eating? What portion of that food is organic, what has been exposed to chemicals?

Rather than organic, I focus on 'natural' when it comes to labels. Chicken feed is technically not natural: i feed non-medicated layer pellets. I buy it at Walmart. If they're out, it's a farm supply store.

They're supplemented with naturally foraged food in season. They get the occasional pumpkin, cabbage, greens etc for variety, entertainment and mental enrichment. I limit those to once a week at most.

They also get the occasional plate of scrambled egg, when I have too much egg 🥚 piling up, lol. That's going to change when I get my permit and start selling through our village store this spring!

Back
Top Bottom