How to deal with raccoons.

Do you think this would take down a bobcat? I cannot shoot my regular firearms because I live in a city limits but a powerful air rifle is legal and I am willing to use that. Thanks

Go to your local Walmart (if you have one). We found that the best location for a good supply of air rifles at reasonable prices.

After querying on BYC on how to dispatch a renegade coon without firearm, we purchased a pump action break barrel .17 pellet air rifle that shoots 1200fps. It easily dispatched a raccoon at close range. (There is some serious power behind these).

The ratings are on the side of the box as to what you can hunt with it. Ours noted squirrels, however, at close range, as stated, it sent a live-trapped coon (who had relived my flock of 2 of my best hens and came back nightly to growl at the closed up coop) to his greater glory.

I did note when we were looking in the store that the next level up rifle had bobcat on it which surprised me (which is why I remember it)..so yes, you can purchase an air rifle that will dispatch larger animals. I think I was recommended a .22 pellet of at least 900fps for raccoon, however the smaller pellet at higher speed did the trick too.

These are not toys. They are weapons. And they are legal within city limits (at least where we live). The advantage is that while very powerful close range, they won't send a bullet through the neighbors house across the street.

LofMc

I trap them and put them down sadly that's the way it is where I live you can't relocate them and even with a secure coop they will keep coming and more and more will come

Good to know thank you. I'm doing research in my area and it says in self defense for me or my family, I can use my regular 9mm. It's a risk I do t want to take though. I am also researching if in fact, an air rifle is considered a "firearm". The last bobcat incident (that cleaned out my coop and ducks) I had to take down bare hands and a wooden pole coz it charged me. Dont want to have to do that again.

Thanks for your input! I'll continue to check out rules and that rifle you talked about

Do you think this would take down a bobcat? I cannot shoot my regular firearms because I live in a city limits but a powerful air rifle is legal and I am willing to use that. Thanks
Yes definitely... right shot placement is everything but its good to have a.25 cal with over 40 ft pounds of power... just have to make sure your shot is good and if you miss its hits something that will stop it. It will shoot through a 2 by 4

Good to know thank you. I'm doing research in my area and it says in self defense for me or my family, I can use my regular 9mm. It's a risk I do t want to take though. I am also researching if in fact, an air rifle is considered a "firearm". The last bobcat incident (that cleaned out my coop and ducks) I had to take down bare hands and a wooden pole coz it charged me. Dont want to have to do that again.

Thanks for your input! I'll continue to check out rules and that rifle you talked about
In the USA air power is not considered a firearm. Well obviously there is no fire so not a firearm but the regulations of the two are not one in the same is what I'm saying.

Rifles that take air tanks are not only expensive but require a hand pump or scuba type shop to refill. Today's basic air rifle with break action (one pump) barrel is quite different than what we had as kids. Take the powerful 10 pumps of my youth for example, those would put out around 12 FPE, foot pounds of energy. Today a .22 break barrel like the Hatsan 95 will deliver 19 FPE. This is not as powerful as they can get but that model is well made and lighter/shorter than say the 125 model so easier to shoot. Shot placement being king to power that 20 FPE is plenty to take down raccoon and smaller for heart/lung shots. I wouldn't try bobcat with that power unless your a crack shot and head is in clear view for brain pan, lights out. Some go with .25 cal in the 95 model but that's stretching it's limits unless you're shooting close range. Think rainbow and that's what the trajectory of .25 pellet is going to do with shots over 100 ft distance.

The beauty of pellet and low power is the pellet itself is designed to collapse reducing bounce. The power is enough to traverse small animals but is not going to continue much farther so what is behind the intended target is of little risk.

There is a lot of misinformation of marketing on air rifles. The feet per second on all makers excepting Hatsan are saying speeds of ultra light alloy pellet; Hastan boasts only lead pellet FPS. Just a buyer beware on that mark. You should never use ultra light alloy, lead is far better for the barrel and you can get the weight up to track better in wind and you don't want to shoot at speeds reaching or exceedng the speed of sound. The air disruption throws the pellet off not to mention you are making a lot of noise if breaking the sound barrier. The best speeds for subsonic accuracy is 900-950 fps. That Hatsan 95 pushing a .22 around 13 grain is going to be a bit over 800 FPS which is more than enough and will give great performance. You don't want anything under 800 fps or over 1000. Anywhere in between is good with optimum being 900-950.

Airgun Depot offers refurbished Hatsans. Your getting an aftermarket good seal. They also offer Vortex pellets which are made by H&N, a quality pellet that fits the barrel for accurate shots again and again. I'd use the Express Vortex which is 13.12 grain in .22 cal. Bundle the pellets with gun to save.

The 85 is the 95 with sythetic stock opposed to hardwood.

https://www.airgunproshop.com/shop/refurbished-hatsan-85-sniper-vortex-22-cal/

Last edited:
Go to your local Walmart (if you have one). We found that the best location for a good supply of air rifles at reasonable prices.

After querying on BYC on how to dispatch a renegade coon without firearm, we purchased a pump action break barrel .17 pellet air rifle that shoots 1200fps. It easily dispatched a raccoon at close range. (There is some serious power behind these).

The ratings are on the side of the box as to what you can hunt with it. Ours noted squirrels, however, at close range, as stated, it sent a live-trapped coon (who had relived my flock of 2 of my best hens and came back nightly to growl at the closed up coop) to his greater glory.

I did note when we were looking in the store that the next level up rifle had bobcat on it which surprised me (which is why I remember it)..so yes, you can purchase an air rifle that will dispatch larger animals. I think I was recommended a .22 pellet of at least 900fps for raccoon, however the smaller pellet at higher speed did the trick too.

These are not toys. They are weapons. And they are legal within city limits (at least where we live). The advantage is that while very powerful close range, they won't send a bullet through the neighbors house across the street.

LofMc
A pump action .177 may be good for coons up close but it will not take down any bob cat. Fps is not what kills it is the FPE speed does not kill in air rifles... And yes PCP can be expensive I got mine for around 600 but i have to have a scuba tank filled up but i get 40 fills with it each scuba tank. But I would recommend maybe borrowing from someone.

and A .25 cal pcp could easily take down a bobcat at 100 yrds.. I've seen it take down deer at fifty yrds...buts yes shot placement is crucial but the .25 cal is very forgiving. It is not even coming close to stretching its limits. it takes down everything from hogs to deer to coyotes 100ft...is nothing for the .25 it is only 33 yrds. I can shoot groups at 100 yrds not feet.

trap and shoot. we use a havahart trap but kill them once we get them, now that i have my trapping license i can sell the pelts but only if its the right season, (here we can kill coons year round but the pelt is only prime for what 2-3 months in the winter my book says) then a .22 short or .22lr to make a quick clean kill, am thinking about getting an air rifle just for trapping purposes, how would a .22 cal 495fps 4.7 pounds of power work for dispatching at point blank (for small animals)?

if it is 495 fps is a little slow like i said it is not speed that kills but what you want is about 900-1000 fps but the biggest thing is foot pounds of energy 4.7 lbs is kind of small but point blank it may work... but also if it is point blank it is at a lower energy the kinetic energy is greater when shot at further distances when you shoot point blank its coming out of the muzzle fast but has little energy...hope that helps. I recommend the marauder pistol in .22 cal its a pcp you could get for 300-400.$...

A pump action .177 may be good for coons up close but it will not take down any bob cat. Fps is not what kills it is the FPE speed does not kill in air rifles... And yes PCP can be expensive I got mine for around 600 but i have to have a scuba tank filled up but i get 40 fills with it each scuba tank. But I would recommend maybe borrowing from someone.

Totally agree...and I was not implying it would...just that the next level up of what I bought, which I've forgotten its stats, did show on the box it was a caliber to take bobcat down which point I was making...that I know you can get an air rifle that is rated to take down bob cat.

I only dispensed with a coon at close range (trapped) with the .177, but don't deal with bob cat (thankfully),.

Yours and Egghead Jr replies are good information with much better stats for the poster who asked and hopefully he has kept abreast with the thread.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom