How to deter hawks?

Where I'm from you have the right to dispatch any animal threatening your livestock. But you are required by law to report it with all birds of prey you have to dispatch. In my opinion, I'll practice preventative measures. Killing a majestic bird is just not something I care to do. But I'm not letting them kill my chickens if I can help it.

Where I'm from you have the right to dispatch any animal threatening your livestock. But you are required by law to report it with all birds of prey you have to dispatch. In my opinion, I'll practice preventative measures. Killing a majestic bird is just not something I care to do. But I'm not letting them kill my chickens if I can help it.

Even in AL you can not simply shoot offending raptor even though state statutes may allow it. Federal law supersedes.

You make proper effort to deter, prove it, and if the raptor is persistent you can be issued a permit to kill any raptor attacking your live stock. I have one, my neighbor has one and my dad had one when he was living. Every kill must be reported. We still have a pair of redtails here that while they circle around, they never really show interest. Offending birds are all gone, legally reported, and turned over to proper authority. (It's been years since we've had to take one down). We even have a bobcat nearby that hunts with the neighbors cat and couldn't give a crap about the chickens.

To make a long story short. Chickens are no longer a business for any of us anymore, fact is, this is the first time I've had my own chickens in a long time, but I have cared for game birds for another person, so I think our permits are no longer valid, for all I know mine is long expired or unreadable from lying in the back of my wallet for years never even being looked at. But none of us care to kill any birds of prey anymore. But MANY people out here have permits that allow protection of livestock against ANY animal killing them. Don't tell anyone they can't do it legally, but you have to prove every possible effort to protect your livestock has been exhausted. When raising high end game chickens (Cowan roundheads, ask me what my last name is, that's my dad's work or at least what his friends tell me lol) that sell from $150 to $400 each, each predation hurts when it's your livelihood. I grew up raising some of the most beloved game birds worldwide.

Last edited:

Well put!

I know nothing about chickens, but I am obsessed with hawks getting my chihuahuas. I know someone they this happened to, plus a lot of people say they're really bold. (My littlest is 2.5 lbs.)

I don't have a ton of open space where they run around. My whole lot is prob half acre - yard is half of that. And a good portion is high trees. Plus there's a pool.

How much space do hawks usually come down in? How close to humans? (The dogs never go out without me, but I can't be next to all four at once.)

We're probably getting a larger dog (maybe a coonhound). Would that deter the hawks? Even asking all this makes me sick. Any advice on deterring is greatly appreciated.

I've lost two one and half month old chickens to a hawk in the last two days. There is one circling again today (they are just in a puppy play pen with screens over the top today so thy should be good for now) and I was wondering if anyone knows any ways to scare them off immediately without shooting at them? Or basically do you just take preventative measures to get them to stay away? We're a big getting a dog in a few weeks If that would help (an Australian Shepard great pyranees mix)? But it will be a puppy and when we get it and will need to be bigger and be trained before it's a full time guard dog.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom