How to deworm the coop/run?

No unfortunately, Valbazen is a supension, and settles out in water. It is not hard to dose chickens orally, and that way they get the right dose for their weight. If you could keep them separated and some way put it on some bread or food you are certain they will take all of, you could do it that way. Otherwise, you may have to use something else, such as levamisole (Prohibit.) But it may be hard to find.
So separate them and give each one bread with it on it so I know they each got some ? I’m afraid orally because I might not get it down the right hole

The worms in the poop board pictures are round worms. You cannuse Valbazen suspension or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer or horse paste to treat those. Some worms, as tapeworms, have intermediate hosts, such as snails, slugs, flies, earthworms, grasshoppers, and beetles. General cleaning, preventing those intermediate hosts, keeping bedding clean, stirred, and very dry is a good way of preventing reinfestation.
I suggested the same thing to the vet, kind of like a dog gets treated monthly for heart worms. They said you risk the worms becoming immune to the meds and it becomes ineffective. I just learned it's a different infestation this time: Blastocystis. I cannot find treatment specific to this parasite anywhere.

I suggested the same thing to the vet, kind of like a dog gets treated monthly for heart worms. They said you risk the worms becoming immune to the meds and it becomes ineffective. I just learned it's a different infestation this time: Blastocystis. I cannot find treatment specific to this parasite anywhere.
That's interesting.
Was this i.d. from the Vet School or?
If they i.d. the Blastocystis, then could they not make any recommendations about treatment?

Quick google search leads me to find Blastocystis is protozoan, so not likely to be treated with an anthelmintic. You'd probably need to use an anti-protozoal.
You may find more info about Blastocystis in Humans than you will in poultry, but if you do some research, you should be able to find info about poultry (studies) and figure out some of the more common treatments/medications used. I think it would be best to re-consult the Vet School and ask them for recommendations.

In July, my hens were treated by our vet school

The natural wormers; DE, garlic to water, ACV are a myth. They dont work.
It's the worm eggs in and on the soil that are causing your birds to get re-infected.
Natural wormers and real wormers will not treat nor eliminate worm eggs. Burning the soil is a good idea but might be impractical as well as rotating areas where chickens can forage especially if they are penned like my birds.

The only other way to end the worms lifecycle is to worm your birds monthly. How long? Worm eggs can survive in soil for several years. That means worming monthly for the long haul like I do.
I mostly use Valbazen to worm my birds monthly. You worm them once, given orally to each chicken, then repeat again in 10-14 days. Then 30 days later after the last dosing, start over again. That easy.
Valbazen kills all types of roundworms, including hookworms.
Is there a withdrawal period when giving Valbazen? Which product do you use, goats/sheep/cattle? I have been having to treating with IVM every couple of months for roundworms. Found another heavy load in a couple of the poops.

Is there a withdrawal period when giving Valbazen? Which product do you use, goats/sheep/cattle? I have been having to treating with IVM every couple of months for roundworms. Found another heavy load in a couple of the poops.
There is only one Valbazen (albendazole) that is used for all animals. Dosage for chickens is 0.08 ml per pound given orally once and again in 10 days. That is usually rounded off to 1/2 ml for a 4-6 pound chicken. Egg withdrawal is 14 days after treatment.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom